When you’re feeling bold, bright yellow hair color is the way to go. Yellow is a vibrant color, which comes in many hues, so you can try anything from mustard to neon yellow until you find one that suits your complexion the most.
If you’re nervous about wearing such a vivid color, don’t worry because this color is fun, trendy, and sure to get you lots of compliments. Gen Z seems to love this citrus-inspired color. One quick search on social media is sure to get you thousands of beautiful yellow hair color ideas.
In this guide, I’m sharing the six best yellow hair dyes on Amazon so that you can color your hair at home without the hassle of an expensive salon visit.
What is yellow hair color?
Yellow is the bold and fun upgrade to classic blonde shades. Yellow hair color has several names, including mustard, banana yellow, and zesty lemon. But, in reality, they all refer to a range of bright yellow hues. Most yellow hair dyes have warm undertones, which makes them universally flattering on all skin tones.
Therefore, yellow suits everyone, and it looks great on all complexions. As a hair color, it’s relatively easy to DIY. As long as you have a light base color, it appears highly pigmented and bold. Thus, it’s a fun hair dye to try if you want to spice things up and bring a little sunshine into your appearance.
Best Yellow Hair Dyes Reviewed
Adore Semi-Permanent Haircolor #161 Cosmic Yellow 4 Ounce
The Cosmic Yellow shade is a bright, vivid neon yellow with a green undertone. If you want a color that stands out from other more subtle yellow shades, this is the one. Adore dyes are extremely affordable yet long-lasting and highly pigmented. It is easy to use because you don’t need to mix anything, simply apply straight from the bottle throughout the lengths of your hair.
This formula is excellent because it doesn’t contain ammonia, peroxide, and alcohol. As well, it is very nourishing and makes the hair look shinier and softer than before coloring. This is a natural formula, and it infuses your hair with rich color without causing any damage. Therefore, you can top up and recolor your hair as often as you like.
- The clean formula doesn’t contain peroxide, ammonia, and alcohol.
- It doesn’t damage your hair while coloring.
- The formula conditions your hair and makes it shiny and soft to the touch.
- The color is very pigmented and rich.
- It is user-friendly and easy to apply evenly.
- This hue is a unique neon yellow that’s hard to find elsewhere.
- The green tinge is visible, so it’s not a true neon yellow.
Punky Bright Yellow Semi-Permanent Conditioning Hair Color
This vegan hair color is super bright, and you can be sure to get the most vibrant shade of yellow on the right base. Think of it as the perfect vibrant daffodil color, which is perfect for summer. Since it’s a vegan and clean formula, it doesn’t contain parabens and PPD, so you don’t have to worry about damaging your hair while coloring. It is a semi-permanent formula, but it lasts for up to six weeks.
Punky Bright dyes are very nourishing and conditioning, and as a result, your hair glows and shines for weeks. The formula is loaded with light-reflecting pigments, which gives your hair that much wanted shine. The biggest advantage of using this dye is that it’s very DIY-friendly because you don’t need to mix or prep in advance. You can use it on permed and relaxed hair, and it doesn’t have that typical chemical scent everyone hates.
- Vegan and cruelty-free.
- This is a natural formula, and it’s free of parabens and PPD.
- The kit is easy to use and works on different hair textures.
- It doesn’t smell as bad as other similar dyes.
- It has light-reflecting pigments, so hair shines and glows long after coloring.
- The formula contains brightly colored pigments, so the color is rich and vivid.
- It conditions your hair and prevents damage.
- The color is long-lasting.
- The color is less vivid if your hair is not bleached.
Manic Panic Electric Banana Hair Dye Classic
If you want to get a metallic and electric yellow color, this Manic Panic shade is the closest you can get to a neon banana. It is extremely bold and vivid because the formula is packed with the brightest yellow pigments. This semi-permanent formula works best on pre-lightened hair and lasts on your hair for about four to six weeks. Even then, it washes out gradually without leaving streaks and patches.
It is gentle on the hair because the dye doesn’t penetrate the hair’s cortex. Instead, the formula deposits the pigments on top of the hair shaft. This means you can color your hair as much as you like because you don’t end up damaging it. As well, the formula doesn’t contain any ammonia or resorcinol, and it is cruelty-free.
- The color is long-lasting for up to six weeks.
- It washes out slowly and gradually without streakiness.
- The color is a true banana neon, and it is very bright and vibrant.
- Your hair looks shiny and has a metallic appearance for added vividness.
- It is an affordable dye.
- You don’t need to use a developer, so you simply apply it to the hair in minutes.
- It is a color-depositing dye, so you don’t have to worry about damage.
- The formula is very thick and a little bit chunky, so you have to be careful when applying it to ensure you use an even coat throughout.
Lunar Tides Hair Dye – Citrine Yellow
This Lunar Dye hue is the perfect citrus and lemon yellow. It is super vivid and bright, which makes it excellent if you want that lemon-inspired color. This dye works best when applied with a tint brush, allowing you to coat each strand evenly during application. Since it’s a semi-permanent hair dye, you can count on up to six weeks of bold color. Best of all, it doesn’t wash out in sections, so there’s no need to worry about patchiness.
The formula is vegan and cruelty-free. Additionally, it doesn’t contain those dangerous, harsh chemicals. Instead, the products are formulated with many natural ingredients that are safe for prolonged use. Thus, you can color your hair yellow as often as needed without worrying about hair breakage and dryness.
- Gorgeous bright lemon yellow.
- The semi-permanent color is very vivid and fades out gradually.
- It doesn’t damage your hair at all.
- The dye is vegan and cruelty-free.
- It is made with many natural ingredients and doesn’t contain those harsh chemicals.
- It’s easy to apply with a tint brush.
- Some customers complain that the color washes out faster than other similar brands.
Crazy Color Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream Canary Yellow No.49
Canary is one of the most beloved classic yellow hues, and for a good reason – it is very bright, bold, and vivid. It’s most often associated with the beautiful color of exotic bird plumage. Since this color is quite unusual, this hair dye is unique and playful; thus, it’s perfect if you want to experiment with new yellow shades. If your hair looks a bit dull, this bold color is sure to infuse some new energy into it.
This hair dye lasts from about three to eight weeks, depending on how often you wash your hair. It adds a vibrant glow and shine to your hair, so it never looks dull or faded. It’s full of bright pigments and doesn’t wash out or fade soon after coloring. And since it’s a cheap hair dye, you can color your hair often without breaking the bank. Therefore, it’s a great value dye.
- Good value for the price because it’s a high-quality dye.
- It is a unique shade of yellow.
- The color is extremely bright and pigmented, so the color is vibrant.
- It adds a glow and shine to your hair.
- It has good lasting power and doesn’t wash out soon after coloring.
- Easy to apply & use.
- It doesn’t damage your hair, so that you can color often.
- It works best on wet hair, so avoid using it on dry hair, or you risk it fading out after the first wash.
Celeb Luxury Viral Colorditioner
Technically, this isn’t a dye; it’s a color depositing conditioner. It adds yellow pigments on top of the hair shafts. Thus it doesn’t penetrate the hair’s structure and is used for color touch-ups. After you color your hair yellow, use this natural conditioner to add more yellow pigments. The more porous your hair, the more pigments are deposited, and the brighter the color.
This formula is made with palm and coconut and helps condition and repair your hair. Thus, the hair looks shiny, healthy, and soft. All you have to do is use the shampoo and color depositing conditioner every time you want to make the color vibrant.
- Easy to use.
- Maintains your yellow hair color for weeks.
- The formula doesn’t cause any damage.
- It nourishes and conditions by adding moisture.
- It makes your hair looks shiny and soft.
- This product washes out quickly.
Arctic Fox Vegan and Cruelty-Free Semi-Permanent Hair Color Dye (8 Fl Oz, COSMIC SUNSHINE)
Your hair can look like a ray of sunshine with this beautiful bright cosmic sunshine yellow. It’s not as bright as neon, but still a lot bolder than blonde. This semi-permanent hair dye is one of the most popular because it is vegan and cruelty-free. It is also known for its clean formula, which doesn’t contain harsh chemicals such as ammonia, alcohol, and peroxide, to name just a few.
Customers rave about the Arctic Fox formula because it conditions and nourishes your hair as it colors. Thus, it doesn’t damage your hair, so you can color it frequently without worrying. As well, it doesn’t have that harsh chemical scent and instead has a light sweet fragrance. The color lasts for up to five weeks and washes out gradually.
- It has a light sweet fragrance.
- It is a long-lasting semi-permanent dye.
- The formula is free from harsh chemicals such as alcohol, ammonia, and peroxide.
- Vegan and cruelty-free.
- It conditions and nourishes the hair strands to prevent damage.
- You can use it frequently without ruining your hair.
- Some people complain about the smell because it’s not as sweet as they claim on the box.
Tips for buying and using yellow hair dye
Yellow hair requires less maintenance than platinum or icy blonde. However, just because it doesn’t need as much upkeep doesn’t mean it’s easy to do right. If you’re inspired by the bold Gen Z yellow hair trends, you need to have the right base color, which involves pre-lightening your hair.
An advantage to yellow hair color is that you don’t HAVE to bleach your hair. Just make sure you lighten until you have a light blonde base. Then, your best option is to use semi-permanent dyes because they are less damaging.
To ensure the yellow color remains bright and vivid, you need to re-color quite often. Therefore, choose vegan and natural formulas that are ammonia and peroxide-free. These are far less damaging than permanent hair dyes full of smelly chemicals.
For after-color care, you need to use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. These don’t strip your hair of the yellow pigments, so the color lasts longer without washing out immediately after dyeing. Also, you should use a toner to maintain the color and keep it looking its best.
So, now that you’re finished reading, you can select one of the gorgeous yellow hair dyes and start coloring at home. There are several types of yellow to choose from, including citrus yellow, canary, and even a greenish neon. It’s up to you how bold you want to go!