Any avid user of tanning lotions knows that a tingle tanner gives you better results. Sure, this type of lotion can sting a little bit, but after about an hour, the skin goes back to normal, and you’re left with a much better-looking dark tan.
A tingle tan lotion is mostly recommended for experienced tanners who want darker tan results faster. A long-time tanner understands that this process can be a bit uncomfortable, yet the results are highly visible.
So, if you’re not afraid of the tingle, we’ve decided to compile a list of the top 8 best tingle tanning lotions on Amazon to help you achieve the bronzed goddess look fast.
What is tingle tanning lotion?
For those unfamiliar with tingle tanning lotions, they are lotions that bring the blood to the surface of the skin. Basically, they bring more oxygen to the surface, which affects melanin production. When the skin’s melanin is boosted, the skin becomes darker. So, there is more oxygen, and in turn, more melanin, which results in a darker tan for you.
The reason this type of product is called a ‘tingle’ lotion is that it makes your skin tingle, and you feel a burning or stinging sensation. Tanning lotions contain several ingredients that give this tingling sensation. They are methyl nicotinate, hexyl nicotinate, and benzyl nicotinate.
Some people describe the feeling as a hot burning sensation, others as an intense tingly feeling.
Who should use tingle tanning lotion?
The tingle formula is recommended for experienced tanners and not beginners. These types of lotions are used for indoor tanning only when you use a tanning bed. Do not use tingle lotions for outdoor tanning because it’s not as effective.
Before you start to use a tingle lotion, you should already have your base tan. Also, it would help if you were comfortable with the heat of the tanning bed because that heat mixed with the tingling sensation of the lotion can be quite an intense experience.
To get accustomed to using a tingle lotion, take it slow and mix your regular tanning lotion with about 25% tingle formula. Then, as your skin gets used to the feeling, you can begin to increase this amount. It takes a bit of work, but once you feel comfortable, you’ll love the dark tan results.
Now, let’s take a look at the best products on Amazon.
Table of Contents
Top 8 Best Tingle Tanning Lotions
The products on this list are all great tingle tanning lotions. We’ve added something for every tanner’s needs, including medium tans, dark tans, and even cooling lotions.
Best Overall: Ed Hardy Obnoxious Extreme Bronzer Tingle Tanning Lotion
This bestselling product is a favorite of so-called tan addicts. And for a good reason too, as it offers extreme tingle to maximize tanning results. So, we don’t recommend this lotion for those of you with sensitive skin.
The formula is a combination of natural and cosmetic ingredients, and it provides excellent results every time you use it. Be prepared for a very intense tingling sensation with this lotion.
It contains hemp seed oil, which moisturizes and softens the skin. As well, there is mangosteen extract to help the skin fight the signs of aging. Once you apply the product, the skin begins to redden, and you’ll feel the tingle.
- This formula is nourishing for the skin and contains vitamins C & E that moisturize dry and damaged skin.
- You’ll end up with a very dark tan if you use this lotion.
- The lotion offers protection from sun damage.
- It is a great product that lasts longer, so it is good for a base tan.
- It doesn’t clog pores.
- It can cause itchiness and irritate sensitive skin.
Darkest Lotion: The Sicilian 200X Double Dark Black Bronzer Tanning Lotion
Tanning connoisseurs rave about the intensity of this tingle tanner. It is the darkest color you can find because it has the highest dose of DHA. Like the product label states, it is a double dark black bronzer for those looking for very dark skin.
It also contains a lot of beneficial ingredients to ensure that skin doesn’t dry out and look flaky. The formula contains silicone, which softens and smooths out the skin. As well, it extends the life of your tan, so you don’t have to visit the tanning salon as often.
This product stands out from the rest because it has lots of anti-aging properties. Frequent tanning makes the skin look older, but this formula contains Co-Q10, which stimulates the body’s collagen production.
- The product contains nourishing walnut and macadamia nut oils to give skin a hydrating boost.
- A melanin booster increases the tanning process and makes tans look even darker.
- This product offers immediate and delayed tanning results, so your tan lasts longer.
- The lotion has a great texture due to the high silicone content, so it applies well and looks nice on the skin.
- It has a vanilla based scent that is pleasant.
- This lotion stains the hands and makes them look brown almost instantly, so wash your hands quickly after use.
Best Value: Seriously Hot Bronzing Lotion
Alright, this tingle lotion also gives you a high dose of tingle. It has a level 10 of the tingling agent, which means you’re bound to get a super dark looking tan. Unlike the reddish lotions, this has a brown-toned red tint, which looks good on all skin tones.
As you use this, you’re going to feel the burn, but it gives long-lasting results, so the result makes the process worthwhile. It is an affordable product and costs under $20, so it is a great value buy.
Don’t worry about burning or dry skin when using this product because it also contains some coconut oil and Tahitian Monoi Oil, which nourishes the skin and makes it soft to the touch. In addition, the nourishing oils help reduce inflammation, so it helps the skin deal with the side effects of the tingle.
- This formula is moisturizing, and unlike other tingle lotions, it doesn’t leave your skin desperate for hydration.
- The formula offers you a very dark tan.
- Very affordable, compared to many other similar tingle lotions.
- The formula makes skin softer and smoother, so the tan looks better.
- Unfortunately, the tingle ingredients in this product have a powerful scent, which may be irritating for some users.
The Best Classic: Designer Skin BombShell 100XXBronzer
By classic, we mean this is a fan favorite tingle lotion that’s been on the market for a very long time now. Although they’ve changed the packaging several times, it’s still the same great tingle lotion inside. The brand describes it as an “ultra-extreme” sizzle, so you can be sure it packs a punch.
This lotion has a pleasant kiwi and fruity watermelon scent, which smells nice long after you’ve tanned. It’s a great tanning lotion to use if you are looking for radiant skin and an ultra dark tan. The formula is recommended for expert tanners only because it is very tingly and powerful.
You’ll find that the formula contains soy, white tea extract, and co-Q10, which keep the skin nourished and healthy-looking. As well, those ingredients prevent the signs of premature aging. Just make sure you don’t use it near the face and bikini area, or you risk severe irritation.
- This lotion has an extreme tingle factor, which turns you red fast, and the tan is very strong.
- It has a thick creamy formula, which is very easy to apply evenly all over the body.
- Even though the formula feels hot on the skin, it does not make your body each like many similar products.
- The formula contains a bronzer, so it gives a much darker tan than products without bronzer.
- It gives a natural-looking tan, even though it is very dark.
- This product stains a lot, so be careful to wash your hands immediately after using it.
- It is more expensive and costs $40.
Best Cooling: Tanovations ICE ICE BABY Hydra Chill Ultra Invigorating Cooling Triple Black Bronzer
Here is an excellent cooling lotion that is going to give you the shivers. So, make sure you don’t turn on the air conditioning right away. It’s a tingle lotion but with a chilly kind of tingle, not the hot burning sensation. But, you’ll love how awesome your skin looks after you use this product.
It’s the kind of lotion that never turns your skin orange. Instead, it boosts the natural color of your skin to look radiant and healthy. It is a tan enhancer with a DHA bronzer and gives the same great results you’d expect from Tanovations products.
This lotion also helps your skin fight free radicals because it contains cranberry and pomegranate. As well, it has nourishing properties thanks to macadamia and almond oil. But best of all, your skin will look tighter because the formula contains caffeine and green tea extract.
- This product gives a medium to a high level of bronze. It makes the skin visibly darker.
- There is no pre-tan, or after tan chemical scent with this product, so it’s a good option if you have that fake tan smell.
- This lotion gives a streak-free and luxurious looking tan.
- It contains many ingredients, which are melanin stimulators but with a cooling effect.
- Very affordable and costs about $15.
- Some customers complain that the scent is not quite like artic berry and doesn’t smell very good.
Best for Tattoos: Devoted Creations IGNITE NOIR Hot Tingle Bronzer
This lotion is perfect for those looking for the black-bronze type of intense tan. It will make your skin hot and tingly, but the results are excellent. The reason this product is such a hit with experienced tanners is its innovative formula. The ingredients in this formula protect your tattoos from the damage caused by tanning beds.
It contains two key ingredients: Freshtek and Kollaren. They work together to fight the sign of aging, wrinkles, and they eliminate that typical after-tan odor. So, when you use this product, you are helping your skin stay youthful.
In addition, the tingle activates microcirculation and causes an increase in oxygen flow, which ensures a streak-free salon tan every time. But, you should know, this formula contains very high levels of DHA, so you’ll get an instant dark tan.
- This formula contains ingredients that reduce the appearance of wrinkles and cellulite; therefore, they make skin tighter.
- The product has a pleasant aloe vera and starfruit scent, which is refreshing and not too strong.
- It contains ingredients that protect the color of your tattoos against damage.
- Since it has a high tingle factor, this product increases microcirculation and increases the skin’s melanin production.
- Some people complain that the tingle in this product is almost unbearable.
Best Mild Tingle: Tanovations COMING IN HOT Thermal Active Black Bronzer
This is the perfect tingle tanner for beginners to try because it has a mild tingle compared to the other products on the list. It is not as powerful as other tanners and doesn’t give a dark brown tan. However, it’s great for getting your tan started and getting used to the tingle.
The formula has a rapid DHA release system, so you start seeing results immediately. Since it contains thermal active tingle additives, it sinks into the skin and boosts melanin. Even people with fair skin can use this product.
Additionally, the formula does wonders for the skin because it contains antioxidants and detoxifying ingredients. It contains charcoal and black tea, which remove any skin impurities. As well, the lotion absorbs oil, so you’re not left with a coat of oily lotion. We all know how inconvenient oily formulas are.
- This formula does more than others because it removes impurities and gives skin a detox.
- It’s great for tanning amateurs who are looking to build a good base tan.
- Mild tingle compared to other products.
- It gives good light tan results.
- Very affordable and costs only $12.
- Don’t expect a dark bronze with this product; it is not for experienced tanners.
Best Moderate: Devoted Creations White 2 Black, Tingle, Ultra Fast, Darkening Lotion
Here’s a great formula by Devoted Creations, which is moderately hot and tingly. It has a light tingle compared to other similar lotions. It doesn’t contain bronzers, but it can still make you about three shades darker than you currently are. The formula contains different accelerators that boost the skin’s melanin production quite well.
Since the product doesn’t contain any bronzers, you can simply lie on the tanning bed without worrying about any streaks or lines. It will give you a nice looking medium-dark tan when you get off from the tanning bed.
The smell is fairly pleasant; it has a “rain kissed leaves” scent, which emits a refreshing aroma. As well, this formula helps keep skin hydrated during the tanning process because it contains black tea and cranberry extract.
- The formula contains several accelerators to help your skin’s melanin production.
- It’s a great in-between tingle lotion, so it’s perfect for those who have a light tan and want to go darker but aren’t quite ready for extreme tingle.
- This product is great for establishing a good base color while maintaining hydrated skin.
- It’s a very budget-friendly lotion, so it’s great for testing out tanning lotions.
- There is no bronzer in the product.
- The tingle is light to medium in intensity and not for experienced dark tanners.
As previously stated, a tingle tanning lotion is not for everyone. It is used on top of a base tan by experienced tanners. If it’s your first time using such a product, it’s best to choose a light tingle lotion. So, before you make a purchase, read some essential information about tingle tanning lotions.
What to Look for When Choosing a Tingle Tanning Lotion
There are some cult favorites like the Ed Hardy (now Tanovations) tanning lotions that are always bestsellers. But, there is a lot of variety on the market. Here is what you need to look for.
There are two factors to consider. First, tingle lotions vary in strength, which means some offer a very dark tan, and others a more medium level. So, there is a difference in how much a lotion accentuates your tan. The second factor to consider is that some of these formulas contain bronzer, which augments the look of your existing tan, so the end result is even more visible.
So, let’s take a closer look.
Is this an accelerator or maximizer product?
All tingle tanning lotions are designed to speed up the tanning process and make tans darker. In fact, all lotions are either tan accelerators or maximizers. Keep in mind that there is a difference. Accelerators are designed for lighter tans and those working on getting a good base tan. On the other hand, maximizers are intended for dark tans. They are applied to base tans to get an even darker tan.
Does the lotion contain bronzer?
Some formulas also contain bronzing ingredients. These give the appearance of a fake tan on top of the indoor tan. So, the tan appears darker, and the skin has that bronzy look to it. If you choose a lotion with bronzing agents in it, you might not have to tan as long because this tint helps you get a dark looking tan. Once you’ve achieved the darkest skin possible with the tanning bed, you can take it up a notch with a bronzing formula.
How strong is the ‘tingle’ factor in this formula?
It’s important to choose a product with the right amount of tingle. It depends on how much your skin can withstand. Most formulas have a high tingle factor, meaning they are very intense because it’s what most customers want. There are several formulas with a low to medium tingle that are best for beginners.
But, what you should take away from this is that most of the tingle tanning lotions are designed to offer an intense tingle. The reason for this is that intense blood flow causes deeper, darker tans on the skin, and realistically, that’s what people who use tanning beds want.
The Bottom Line
If you want to enhance your base tan and go darker, then any of the tingle lotions on our list is a good option. Most products have an intense tingle, but a few are suitable for newbie tanners. These types of lotions are going to help you get that rich dark tan you’ve been looking for.
Whatever the case, it’s crucial that you follow the instructions on the product label and don’t overuse this type of product, or it will burn and hurt your skin.