Red is one of those colors that has so many varieties. You can choose a shade of auburn, or burgundy red, ruby, or even blood red. All of these various colors are classified under the umbrella term known as ‘red hair color.’ So, if you are tired of your old color and want a new shade that makes you stand out in a crowd, I suggest you try out a beautiful red!
Many of the most elegant celebrities love a beautiful red color. The reason is that this hair color never goes out of style. It remains on-trend year after year, and it is very flattering on all skin tones. A vivid and vibrant red makes you stand out, and it’s bound to impress everyone.
When shopping for hair color, especially red, you must browse through all the different shades available. It’s up to you to decide if you want an orange-toned, blood-red, or brownish-red color. But remember, red hair color is high-maintenance so be prepared to put in the work.
We’ve compiled this list of the top 10 best red hair dyes to help you make a selection.
Schwarzkopf Ultime Hair Color Cream, 4.2 Mahogany Red
Here is our number one choice for red dye. We picked this product because it is excellent quality, gives vibrant color, and suits all budgets.
Consider this dye a premium version of the classic drugstore hair dye. It is a permanent dye with top quality red pigments for a deep shade of red that lasts for up to nine weeks. This color is always on-trend among sophisticated ladies looking for a rich wine red shade. The Mahogany red shade suits women with both warm and cool skin tones, therefore it is universally flattering.
Schwarzkopf’s formula offers vibrant, fade-resistant colors. This dye is intense, so be prepared for a bright looking color that is full of shine. Whether you have straight, wavy, curly, or highly textured hair, this dye works on all types. Therefore, there is no need to worry about patchy or dull color.
- This formula is fade-resistant, which means it washes out at a slower rate than other boxed dyes.
- The product has a low-ammonia ammonia formula, so it’s not as damaging to your hair.
- The formula penetrates deep into the hair strands, so the color is locked in and brighter.
- Some customers note that it does not perform well on very weak, brittle, or thin hair.
Manic Panic High Voltage Classic Cream Formula Vampire Red
Punks and goths have been using this gorgeous blood red shade for years. If you are interested in a semi-permanent fun red color, try this vampire red. It resembles more of a cherry red that is vibrant, rich, and shiny. This product is very easy to use, as it comes in a tub, and it’s simple to apply in just a few minutes. The dye is recommended for women who want a playful, younger-looking hair color. It lasts for a few weeks, and it’s easy to wash out if you get tired of it.
You’ll be glad to know the formula doesn’t damage your hair at all, and it washes out, so there is no need to use color removers. The formula is also vegan and cruelty-free, as well as free from the harsh chemicals you usually find in other brands. Therefore, this temporary dye is great for eco-conscious shoppers who want an effective, cheap, and environmentally-friendly hair dye.
- The formula softens the hair; thus, hair looks sleek, shiny, and feels soft after coloring.
- The red tones are very vibrant and vivid. Therefore it is considered one of the most pigmented semi-permanent dyes.
- This vegan formula is suitable for those with a sensitive scalp because it is free of harsh chemicals.
- The results don’t last nearly as long as other similar dyes. You need to re-apply often.
Natural Red Henna Hair Color/Dye 3 Pack – The Henna Guys
A natural hair dye is always the best option if you struggle with sensitive skin, rashes, and burning sensations as a result of dyeing your hair. Henna is an all-natural hair colorant that is free from any harsh chemicals. Luckily, the Henna Guys created this beautiful shade of red, made of fresh, natural ingredients in the heart of India.
The formula contains aloe vera, which helps soothe the scalp and prevent any hair damage. The product comes in powder form, and it is triple sifted, which means that it doesn’t contain any impurities. Don’t be discouraged by the fact this dye is a powder because it’s so easy to use; all you have to do is mix it with water. This color is intense and has a strong stain, so it looks vibrant and lasts long.
- A henna dye is safe to use on all skin types and hair textures, and it gives efficient results.
- There are no harsh chemicals, metallic salts, or PPD.
- The plants used to manufacture this dye are all organically grown without pesticides.
- This product stains the skin and clothing, so be careful when applying it, make sure you use gloves. It can make a mess in the bathroom if you’re not careful.
Adore Semi-Permanent Haircolor #064 Ruby Red
Here is a professional-grade hair dye that costs less than $30. The Adore brand hair dyes have been popular with hairstylists and colorists at top-notch salons for years. The reason is that the ruby red shade is very vivid and pigmented, and it doesn’t damage your hair. The formula is free from ammonia and hydrogen peroxide so that you won’t end up with any brittle strands.
For the best results and most vibrant red tone, it’s recommended that you bleach your hair beforehand. But, it’s not necessary and works fine even without decoloring. This formula is great because you can mix and match the color with any other shade in their range to create a custom red shade that suits your skin tone.
- There is no ammonia and hydrogen peroxide; thus, the product is considered gentle on hair.
- As the color fades out, it leaves a beautiful lighter red shade and doesn’t look patchy.
- The product is easy to use and apply, and you can pour it straight out of the bottle without a developer.
- The product may be less effective if the hair is not decolored and bleached before dyeing.
L’Oréal Paris Feria Permanent Hair Color, R57 Cherry Crush
You can count on lasting results with the permanent hair dye formula by L’Oreal. The Feria range is well known for bold, trendy colors that are always different from other regular boxed dyes. This cherry red shade looks best on brown hair colors, but it works on all hair types. Best of all, it offers vibrant results without hair damage. While the color is bold and vivid, it still looks natural.
You’ll love the nourishing formula, which leaves hair looking healthier and shinier than before coloring. This product has three times the highlights, which means that hair looks multidimensional because it has different tones of red. You’ll be impressed at how the color shimmers in the light. L’Oreal’s color booster technology makes the pigments stick to the hair for longer, for a brighter color.
- This permanent hair color lasts longer than other box dyes, which means you can have a vibrant color for several months.
- This shade of red is subtle, yet classy and elegant. It looks almost natural on most skin tones.
- The application process is simple because this is a complete kit that comes with gloves and an easy dye applicator.
- The dye doesn’t adhere as well to some hair types, resulting in uneven fading.
Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Hair Color Creme, 66 True Red (Pomegranate)
With a highly potent formula, this affordable hair dye is a constant bestseller and for a good reason. It is a permanent hair color with extremely pigmented and vibrant colors. If you want your hair to look elegant and shiny for longer, then this is the brand to try. As well, it is effective at covering all grey hairs.
The formula of this dye is nourishing for your hair follicles. The product is enriched with three types of oils: avocado, olive, and shea, which make hair look hydrated, healthy, and shiny. In addition, this formula contains grape seed oil, which protects strands from the damage caused by the color. Since the formula is gentle, even women with a sensitive scalp can use this product.
This is the best universal red dye on our list because we think it suits almost everyone!
- Most of the ingredients in this product are of natural origin, hence why this formula is less damaging than other similar boxed dyes.
- This dye gives up to 100% grey hair coverage, so it is easy to use even for root coverups.
- The nourishing formula conditions your hair for the coloring process, therefor hair absorbs color more quickly.
- Women with very thick or textured hair must use more of the dye for full coverage.
Best Red-Brown Color: John Frieda Precision Foam Colour, Dark Red Brown
If you aren’t ready to commit to bright red hair color, the next best thing is a dark red-brown shade. In natural light, this hair color looks like a highly pigmented brown with red tones and highlights. It’s the perfect shade for a more subtle red. You’ll love the foam formula of this product because it’s so easy to apply, and it stays put without dripping down your neck.
This formula is unique because it designed to color even the thickets or most stubborn types of hair. The composition of this dye is very different from any other hair dye. These ingredients work hard to stick to the hair for the best coverage. As well, this is an excellent dye for those women with stubborn grey hairs. The no-drip formula makes it easy to massage the foam into the roots of the hair.
- Even though this is not a permanent hair color, it lasts for up to 8 weeks with minimal fade out even if exposed to an excess amount of water.
- Easy to apply because it is a foam formula, so there is no drip and no mess in the bathroom.
- Great for grey hair coverup and reaching those hard to reach areas at the bottom of the scalp.
- This product can cause some irritation and itching due to its scent and potent formula.
Garnier Olia Ammonia Free Hair Color, Light Intense Auburn
Not a fan of ammonia? No problem. Just because a hair dye doesn’t contain ammonia, it doesn’t mean it’s not effective. This inexpensive Garnier hair dye is a perfect choice if you want a permanent fade-proof formula that nourishes as it colors. This product is very popular because it’s highly effective and the color lasts for more than two months.
The formula of this product is quite unique because it is an oil-based hair dye. This means that approximately 60% of the formula is made of nourishing hair oils such as sunflower, camelia, and passionflower. These conditioning flower oils give your hair a much-needed moisture boost and infuse strands with shine. Therefore, this dye can reverse hair damage, re-nourish strands, and prevent dullness.
- This product offers up to 100% grey coverage, so it can also be used as a root touch up.
- The dye doesn’t have that harsh chemical scent that most products do. Instead, it has a pleasant floral fragrance.
- There is no ammonia in the product; instead, it is infused with flower oils for healthier hair.
- This color tends to work best on decolored or dark bases. If you have light hair color, you need to prep hair beforehand.
Naturtint Permanent Hair Colors Fire Red (9R)
This is a natural hair dye that gives similar results as the most potent chemical formulas but without the damage. It is an excellent choice if you want a bright red color that doesn’t start fading after the first wash. Since the product is natural, it doesn’t contain harmful ingredients such as parabens. Instead, it is formulated with soy, oat, wheat, sunflower, and lemon.
The formula is efficient because it has natural color activators and micro-pigments, which make the color more intense and radiant. One of the problems that arise when dyeing your hair is that the chemicals irritate the scalp because they cause the pH levels to become unbalanced. This dye balances the pH level; therefore, the hair fibers can swell without splitting.
- The product contains Nutrideep technology, which returns the hair’s cuticles to their natural pre-coloring position. This reduces damages and leaves you with smooth hair.
- Covers grey hair efficiently.
- The formula is free from ammonia, parabens, and other toxic chemicals.
- Since it is a gentle formula, the results don’t last for a long time – about three weeks.
Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color Vibrant Red
If grey hairs prevent you from having a beautiful red hair color, then it’s time to take advantage of this great bestselling Revlon formula. The keratin-infused hair dye is the best at covering grey hairs and stubborn roots. This product leaves hair feeling strong, healthy, and voluminous. The 3D Color Gel offers long-lasting color with multi-tonal highlights from root to tip. Since the formula is infused with silk amino acids, you can be sure your hair feels soft to the touch.
As a bonus, this formula is also free from ammonia. Therefore it doesn’t damage your locks and cause brittle or dry hair. Women love this hair color formula because it is cheap, easy to use, and covers hair evenly. The red shades are especially popular because they are vivid and vibrant looking.
- Covers all grey hair for up to 100% protection, and this means you can be sure you’re getting a highly pigmented color all over.
- The dye contains multi-tones of red to give your hair a multidimensional appearance.
- This dye is affordable and costs approximately $15.
- Some customers claim that their roots turned an orange color instead of red.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now that you’ve seen our selection of the best red hair dyes on Amazon, it’s time to discover some more information about red hair color.
Does red hair dye damage the hair?
Just like any other color of hair dye, there is some damage when coloring your hair. However, most of the dyes on our list do not cause any extensive hair damage. It all depends on the ingredients of the coloring cream as well as the potency.
For example, a natural dye or henna does not damage your hair, but the color might not last as long as a chemical-based coloring product.
It’s all about the application process when it comes to red dye. Did you know that the red dye molecules take a longer time to dissolve in your hair? The main reason for this is that red dye pigments have larger molecules than other colors. Therefore, you must follow the instructions when applying the hair color. Ideally, you can have a second person there to help you to avoid uneven application.
One important thing to note is that red hair dye is very difficult to remove. You will need to use bleach and a hair remover cream several times to eradicate this red hair dye. This process can take many months. For this reason, you should consider whether you want to go red beforehand and weigh the pros and cons.
How do I keep red hair looking bright?
We must admit, red is quite a high-maintenance color. For that vivid color, you need to keep re-dyeing quite often, or at least once every 2 or 3 months. But, there are some things you can do to keep the color looking vibrant and rich.
- Use conditioner
Choose a conditioner specially formulated for colored hair. Then, make sure to use a conditioner at least once a week to nourish the colored strands. When you use a conditioner, the hair looks shinier, smoother, and more radiant. Conditioners work to repair the damage caused by frequent dyeing.
- Avoid UV Rays
The sun’s damaging UV rays can wreak havoc on red-colored hair, which leads to discoloration. Limit your exposure to sunlight by wearing a hat and using a sunscreen lotion formulated for colored hair. Once the sun’s rays damage your locks, it’s hard to return them to a healthy state; therefore, prevention is key.
- Refresh and Re-apply
Yes, you’re going to have to refresh the color pretty often. This means you must re-apply the same shade of red dye to keep the color uniform and vibrant. The best advice is to stick to one brand and keep using the same shade. This way, you avoid any allergies and color differences, which can make your color look bad.
- Wash hair less often
The best way to keep red vibrant and fresh is to limit the number of times you wash your hair. Keep in mind that excessive water washes out the color, which makes it fade out and lose its intensity. Therefore, try to wash no more than once every three days or so.
- Sulfate-free shampoo
Experts recommend that you always use a sulfate-free shampoo when washing your colored hair. Sulfates work to strip the dead skin cells and grime build-up from your hair and scalp. However, they also remove the scalp’s natural oils and strip the color at the same time. Therefore, avoid sulfates and use a gentle shampoo.
As you’ve read so far, red hair is high-maintenance and requires frequent touch-ups. But this shouldn’t discourage you from choosing this elegant hair color, considering it’s so flattering on all skin tones and hair textures. With the dyes on our list, you’re sure to find the best formula that flatters your appearance. There are so many shade options for red dye that it’s easy to choose a vibrant color.