If you’re bored of basic hair colors, and you want to stand out, then colors like burgundy or purple might be the perfect color for you. Purple looks elegant, unique, and it’s super trendy. This color is for women looking for a fresh look. Purple comes in many shades such as violet, lilac, and even a light pastel. It’s a youthful color that suits women of all ages, so if you’re still on the fence about giving it a go, don’t worry, purple is a fun, unique hair color that will make you feel beautiful.
Women are often hesitant to try a purple shade because salons charge anywhere from 60 to over 400 dollars for a hair color change. But don’t worry, you don’t have to spend loads of money at the salon to get a pigmented purple shade. DIY is the best option to test out this hair color trend. You can do it at home with a boxed dye kit from Amazon for a low price.
Best of all, these permanent and semi-permanent purple hair dyes will fade in about six weeks. So, if you don’t like the way purple looks on you, it will wash out.
Is purple a trendy color?
Purple is the color associated with royalty. It has an aspect of richness and sensuality. Purple is a popular hair color because it looks elegant, classy, yet playful at the same time. If you want to stand out and show off your cool tresses, choose purple. The hair color is universally flattering on all skin tones. Plus, there are many purple shades to chose from, including light violet, lilac, and deep royal purple.
10 Best Purple Hair Dyes To Use At Home
Best Overall: Joico Vero K-Pak Color Intensity Semi-permanent Hair Color – Amethyst Purple
When you color your hair, the last thing you want to happen is hair damage and irritation. You don’t have to worry about ruining your locks with this hair color from Joico. The formula is infused with borage seed oil and hydrolyzed keratin. These ingredients prevent hair damage, nourish the scalp, and improve circulation. The dye also contains kukui oil, which moisturizes and strengthens hair strands.
The dye is easy to apply because it has a no-drip formula so you can spread it on evenly. The formula works best on bleached hair and offers streak-free vivid color that is semi-permanent and lasts for weeks. As well, the hair looks sleek and shiny after coloring. Overall, this is one of the best purple hair dye because it is affordable (under $15) and offers a dark amethyst color.
- The formula is long last for semi-permanent hair color – up to 15 washes.
- The product has a nourishing formula with kukui oil, borage seed oil, and keratin for stronger hair that doesn’t break.
- Joico hair dye doesn’t have the typical chemical scent, which irritates many people. The smell is light.
- The cream formula is very thick and consistent. You might need to dilute it with some conditioner for easy application.
Bestseller Purple Hair Dye: Manic Panic Purple Haze – Purple Hair Dye Color
This is one of the bestselling purple hair dyes on the market, and for a good reason – it is affordable and highly effective. The formula is vegan and cruelty-free, so you don’t have to feel guilty about dying your hair. This is the hair dye for you if you want a dark shade of purple. The formula gives an intense, rich color that lasts up to six weeks. The best part about this brand is you can mix and match their shades to get the desired shade of purple!
The formula is gentle and doesn’t irritate your scalp. That’s because the product does not contain harsh chemicals such as ammonia, parabens, or phthalates. In addition, it is packed with nourishing ingredients like aloe vera for healthy, shiny, and soft hair from root to tip. So, consider this dye a coloring agent and a conditioner all in one. For the best results, use on lightened hair.
- It offers even coverage from root to tip, and the color is super vibrant and rich-toned.
- The formula is vegan, and PETA accredited. Thus it is free from harmful additives such as ammonia and parabens.
- The product contains conditioners and moisturizers, which prevent hair damage during coloring.
- The color is barely noticeable on dark hair, so you have to lighten it first before applying this purple color.
Best for First Time Coloring: Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids (Violet)
If you are a complete beginner to DIY hair coloring, this is the best way to achieve a cool purple shade. It is a gentle formula that is free of the harsh smelling chemicals found in most other boxed dyes. This cream is super easy to apply because you don’t need to mix anything, just apply evenly to your hair strands. You won’t burn your scalp or damage the hair because the dye is light.
If you have light or pre-lightened hair, this dye will cover your strands evenly on the first application. The formula offers a lighter shade of purple: a beautiful vibrant violet color. It is ideal for those of you dabbling with purple for the first time. It is not too dark; thus, it won’t make you stand out in a crowd. Plus, the nourishing formula leaves hair looking bright, bouncy, and healthy after coloring.
- The product offers excellent coverage and even covers grey hair fully.
- It works on all hair types and textures, which means that you can get even coverage and color that is vibrant and not patchy.
- This product is very easy to use because you don’t need a developer. Thus, all you need to do is apply the cream straight from the bottle.
- Don’t expect to get a dark, rich shade of purple. This dye gives a light violet color to hair.
Best Price & Value: Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color Nourishing Permanent Hair Color Cream, V2 Dark Intense Violet
This hair dye is the most nourishing on our list. The formula is packed with excellent ingredients such as grape seed oil, which makes the hair more vibrant and healthy-looking. As well, the formula contains three nourishing oils: avocado, shea, and olive. These condition the hair strands and help them withstand the dye so that your hair doesn’t break. It limits the damage caused by coloring.
Garnier uses color boosting technology, which gives hair a vivid and vibrant color that is not patchy or uneven. The color works well on all hair types. It can be applied to all colors, even without pre-lightening. What’s more, this deep violet slowly fades to a lighter shade of purple.
- This product has a no-drip formula, which means it’s easy to apply evenly to the hair.
- It works well on all hair colors, even dark hair. This is great because you don’t need to use bleach.
- The color boost technology enhances the intensity of the color by boosting the pigments, making them more vivid.
- This hair dye is not recommended for covering grey hairs. It does not cover them well.
Best for 1 Day Only: L’oreal Paris Hair Color Colorista Makeup 1-day for Blondes, Lilac500
Want to have some fun for a couple of days? You can test out purple hair dye that washes out after the first shampoo. This L’Oreal formula is ideal for blondes that want purple highlights in their hair. The temporary formula does not damage your hair strands, and it is easy to remove. You’ll end up with a light lilac shade that shimmers in the light and makes your hair look nourished.
This formula is transfer-resistant, so even if the color washes out with shampoo, it won’t stain skin or transfer to your clothes. The product is so easy to apply that you can just put it on with your fingers. You won’t feel a tingling or burning sensation because the formula is peroxide and ammonia-free.
- You can mix and match the Colorista formulas to create custom hair colors.
- The gentle formula contains no ammonia or peroxide so that you can apply the dye without gloves.
- The dye comes off easily with water and shampoo.
- It can make hair look blotchy or patchy because it is hard to apply evenly.
Best For Frequent Use: Arctic Fox Vegan and Cruelty-Free Semi-Permanent Hair Color Dye
If you want to have purple hair color for a long time, try the Arctic Fox purple shade because the formula is gentle enough to keep using over and over. It works effectively on all hair types. The product is so good that the purple looks vibrant, even on dark-colored hair. The pigments blend into the hair to give it a multidimensional look, and the deep tints shimmer in the light.
The formula is vegan, and it is free of the most damaging ingredients you commonly find in hair dye. There is no ammonia, alcohol, or peroxide. Thus the formula does not damage the hair strands. Hair feels nourished because the product is made with glycerin. This ingredient helps to hydrate the hair.
- The product is vegan and cruelty-free. The brand donates 15% of profits to animal charities.
- The Arctic Fox dyes are mixable; therefore, you can create your own custom shade.
- The formula is gentle and contains hydrolyzed soy proteins to repair and strengthen the shade while coloring.
- The color bleeds a little bit and stains the skin, so make sure you have color removing wipes on hand.
Trusted Brand: Garnier Olia Bold Ammonia Free Permanent Hair Color
Here is a hair color that is nourishing and healthy for the hair. It doesn’t contain any ammonia, so it doesn’t damage the hair follicles. The shade medium royal amethyst is a rich-colored purple. The Olia formula is excellent because it contains 60 percent oils. These oils help fight dryness, dullness, and roughness. Thus, your hair will be shiny, sleek, and vibrant.
Since there is no ammonia, the formula is suited to those with a sensitive scalp. As well, the product doesn’t have a harsh chemical smell; it has a light scent that doesn’t irritate. The best part of this formula is that it can be used on both light and dark hair, so there’s no need to bleach before applying the dye.
- The permanent hair color is long-lasting. You can expect the color to last for approximately 28 washes if used with a protective shampoo and conditioner.
- The formula is very nourishing and hydrating because it contains 60% flower oils.
- The product works fast – you can get an intense amethyst purple shade in about 30 minutes.
- It covers grey hairs well.
- Since there is no ammonia, the dye tends to wash out if you don’t use a special shampoo for colored hair.
Best Long Lasting Purple Color: Adore Creative Image Semi-permanent Hair Color #114 Violet Gem
This is the best purple hair dye formula for long-lasting purple hair color. The dye is great for beginners because it’s easy to apply and has a no-drip formula. As well, the color doesn’t bleed to your skin and scalp so that you won’t make a mess. Adore has an excellent formula that is fade proof. The product works well without the developer, so it takes less time to color your hair.
It means that once you color your hair, it lasts for four or more weeks, and it fades slowly. As the color fades, it loses intensity, but it washes down to a beautiful pastel purple. You’ll be glad to know this formula does not contain ammonia, peroxide, or alcohol. The formula leaves hair feeling nourished and shiny so that you can say goodbye to dry, brittle hair.
- This product is very affordable and gives a beautiful, vibrant color, so it is an excellent at-home dye.
- The formula is salon-quality, so your hair strands look natural. The purple dye blends into the hair and covers strands evenly.
- The formula is made with natural ingredients that reduce the amount of damage created by the coloring process.
- The product is not used with a developer, so it can come off if you don’t use a shampoo specifically created for colored hair.
Best Clean Formula: Punky Plum Semi-Permanent Conditioning Hair Color
Here is a great hair dye that doesn’t damage your hair. It has a clean formula, which means that it doesn’t contain parabens, PPD’s, ammonia, and GMOs. As well, this formula is vegan and doesn’t contain acid dyes. This means that it doesn’t irritate or burn the scalp and colors the hair gently. So, if you’re worried about allergens and hair damage, you can choose this formula and still get a beautiful vivid purple shade.
The product is loaded with keratin, which strengthens, repairs, and conditions the hair, protecting it from damage. What’s best is that this product is multi-purpose. You can use it for all over hair coloring, highlights, or root touch-ups. You’ll also like that this product doesn’t smell like harsh chemicals. Instead, it has a pleasant grape scent that is not too strong.
- This product works effectively on all hair colors, although if you want maximum vibrance, use a hair lightener first.
- The formulas this brand creates are mixable, so you can mix two or more purple shades to get the desired color.
- It is easy to apply to the hair; the product comes in a plastic tub. It is thick and creamy, so it covers hair strands completely.
- The color bleeds into the skin, scalp, or clothing, so you need to use a hair color remover.
Amazon’s Choice: L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color, V28 Midnight Violet
If you want a high-intensity color that shimmers, this is the product for you. Each Feria shade has three highlights to make each color vibrant and multidimensional. Therefore, you can get shiny, vivid colored locks that look nourished and healthy. Trendy, fashionable colors inspire this range, so they are perfect for those of you that want to follow the purple trend for a while.
This formula is a liquid gel that is easy to prepare and apply. The product is a permanent hair dye, so you can count on it to last for up to eight weeks without significant color fade. Customers rave about this affordable drugstore hair color. It costs less than $15, and it gives excellent results.
- This product is nickel-free, gluten-free, and soy-free.
- The product’s conditioner nourishes each hair strand and makes hair look healthy, strong, and sleek.
- The color is intense and fade-resistant. This means that the vivid purple shade stays opaque for longer.
- This formula is not great at covering grey hair. Thus you’ll have to use a different product to cover roots.
- The product contains parabens.
Buyer’s guide: What to Look for When Choosing Purple Hair Dye
There are many purple hair dyes out there, but not all are excellent. Some don’t offer an intense purple shade, and some are overpriced. But follow this buyer’s guide and find out what you need to consider before making a purchase.
- Your Natural Hair Color
Purple works best on lighter hair colors. Some dyes will not work if you don’t bleach your hair beforehand. You need to check the product packaging, as it will tell you if the formula is designed for lighter bases or darker hair colors. You want to avoid bleaching and lightening, but if you have very dark colored hair, lightening might be your only option to achieve lustrous purple shades.
- Harsh Chemicals
It’s up to you to decide how many chemicals you put into your hair. But, many of these formulas are gentle and free from harsh chemicals. If you want clean products, look for vegan formulas that are generally less toxic. However, note that a product that contains ammonia will offer a more intense color that lasts longer. The disadvantage of using products with ammonia is that this chemical damages hair cuticles. As a result, hair becomes brittle, dry, and prone to breakage.
The golden rule is that a clean formula keeps your hair looking healthier, even after coloring.
- Type of Dye
Before you start to color, decide what type of dye you want. There are two main types: semi-permanent and permanent. Semi-permanent dyes usually last about four to six weeks, but the color begins to fade after about three weeks. A permanent dye lasts for approximately eight weeks, so it’s a better option if you want the same color for longer. There is also a category of dyes called temporary. These include the one-time hair colors that wash out after a day. These are used for fun, to experiment with color or when going to special events.
Is purple hair high maintenance?
Purple hair color is considered to be high maintenance. The reason is that you need to keep refreshing the color ever few weeks. These types of gorgeous colors usually don’t last for a long time, because their intensity fades quite easily. Here are some tips to keep the color looking fresh:
- Limit hair washing to once every two or three days.
- Use a tinted conditioner to keep the color vibrant for longer.
- Use a shampoo specially formulated for colored hair to help the dye stay on the hair.
- Limit exposure to the sun since the UV rays damage your hair.
- Don’t over-style the hair.
The bottom line
Now that you’ve browsed through your dye options, you can feel confident that DIY purple hair is possible. All of the dyes on our list are easy to use in the comfort of your home so that you can avoid a costly salon visit. Just make sure that you choose a color that works with your natural color, so you don’t end up with patchy purple hair. All of the dyes are affordable so that you can have fun with this new hair color trend!