Also called ‘hair removal creams,’ depilatory creams are a painless way to remove body hair. There’s a reason women rave about these top-rated depilatory creams. Razors leave you with nicks, cuts, and let’s be honest – the hair grows back almost instantly. Waxing and epilating hurts, and laser-treatments are expensive. But, a hair removal cream is easy to use and gives you silky smooth skin for about five days.
Why you should use a hair removal cream:
Hair removal creams are a great alternative to shaving. They work efficiently to remove even the coarsest hair. These depilatory creams are available in a variety of formulas suited for all skin types. Depilatory hair cream is more efficient than shaving because it dissolves the hair below the surface of the skin, which leaves you with smooth skin. Shaving cuts off the hair above the surface of the skin, so it grows back faster. Hair removal creams leave you with soft stubble-free skin for about four or five days, and there is no pain involved when using them.
Here are our top picks for the 6 best depilatory creams on Amazon.
Table of Contents
Best Depilatory Creams Reviewed
Best Cream for Sensitive Skin: Veet Silky Fresh, Hair Removal Cream for Legs & Body + Sensitive Skin
This product is formulated for sensitive skin, so you can be sure it is gentle on the skin. You know how tricky the bikini area can be. It is a highly sensitive zone, but the hair is thick, so not all creams are up to the challenge. Veet’s powerful formula gets rid of coarse hair all over the body (excluding the face) easily in approximately 5 minutes. This means you can apply, rinse, and get smooth skin fast.
The depilator cream has a thick consistency that’s easy to lather on. It promises you five days of silky skin. Since the product is suitable for sensitive skin, it contains Aloe Vera to calm any irritation and vitamin E to moisturize.
We included this product because it’s highly effective and works the best on sensitive skin.
- It’s very easy to use this hair removal cream. You just need to apply, wait 5 to 10 minutes, wash off with a wet cloth, and rinse with warm water.
- It offers five days of smooth, stubble-free skin.
- The formula is delicate and formulated to work on sensitive skin so that you can use it on the bikini line.
The product is scented, which might irritate some people. Users claim the scent is too strong.
Best Value: Veet Botanic Inspirations In Shower Cream Hair Remover
This is an excellent in-shower hair removal cream. You can use it while you shower to remove hair all over your body. It works effectively on all kinds of hair, from fine short stubble to long coarse hair. The formula is enriched with Vitamin E and Aloe Vera, which helps keep the skin moistured after removing hair. The Botanic Inspirations series contains naturally sourced ingredients that are good for your skin.
It’s easy to use this hair removal cream. The kit comes with a small sponge tool that removes the dead hair from the shaft. You only need to leave the cream on for about 10 minutes to see results.
We included this product on our list because it contains more natural ingredients than other depilatory creams on the market.
- It is a water-resistant formula, which means using it in the shower doesn’t make the cream less effective.
- This is our best-value product because the cream comes in a 13 oz bottle with a pump for easy and frequent use.
- The hydrating formula keeps your skin feeling moisturized for up to 24 hours post depilation.
- As with other depilatory creams, this product has a strong scent that may be irritating.
- The effects of the cream don’t last as long as other hair removal methods.
Best Depilatory Cream for Face: Nair Hair Remover Face Cream
Say goodbye to embarrassing facial hair and get rid of it in five to ten minutes. This hair removal cream from Nair is the easiest method of removing even the coarsest facial hair. While other depilatory creams targeted to facial hair leave your skin dry and patchy, Nair doesn’t do that.
The Nair formula is enriched with sweet almond oil. This ingredient moisturizes your skin to leave you with the smoothest face. It is also suitable for sensitive skin so you won’t end up with irritated skin. There’s no doubt removing facial hair with this cream is a quick and painless process.
We added this cream to our list because it doesn’t irritate the gentle area around the mouth.
- This is a very affordable product. You can buy it in a 2-pack for about 10 dollars.
- The product is easy to use and only takes a maximum of 10 minutes to remove even thick facial hair.
- The product is suited for use on sensitive skin and doesn’t cause redness, dry skin, or irritation.
- There is no applicator included in this kit, so you’ll have to buy a separate applicator.
- The product has a strong, slightly unpleasant scent.
Best for Coarse Hair: Nair Shower Power MAX Hair Remover for Coarse Hair on Legs & Body with Moroccan Argan Oil
Women with coarse, thick body hair know the struggles behind hair removal. Many women avoid using depilatory creams because they simply don’t think these creams can successfully remove their body hair. But Nair’s powerful formula is created for the coarsest and most stubborn hair.
This formula has a pleasant fragrance of argan oil and orange blossom. It works to remove hair quickly while you’re in the shower. Use the spongey applicator to wipe off the cream 10 minutes after the application. The Moroccan argan oil will leave your skin vibrant and silky smooth.
This hair removal cream made our list because it’s very effective at removing thick hair, and we know many women struggle with coarse body hair.
- The cream comes in a bottle with a convenient pump to make getting the product out easy.
- The formula is powerful yet moisturizing, so your skin won’t feel dehydrated and irritated after use.
- The effects of the cream last longer than the results of shaving with a razor.
- The formula works better on some types of hair than others. You may have to go over an area twice to remove all the thick hair.
- Since the formula is more powerful, it can burn the skin.
Best for Underarms: Nair Glide Away Sensitive Formula with Coconut Oil
It’s tricky to apply cream products to the underarm area. If you are using a classic tube or bottle, you need to squeeze the product out and then lather it onto your armpits. What if I told you Nair has found a solution? It’s a stick-shaped bottle that resembles a deodorant stick, except it applies depilatory cream. You simply glide on the product, leave it on for a few minutes, and rinse the hair off with water. That means there’s no mess, and depilation becomes a touchless, quick application.
The product is specially formulated for sensitive areas such as underarms. The formula is gentle and suitable for sensitive skin. It contains no parabens and chemical dyes that are known to cause a burning sensation.
This product was included in our round-up because it has an excellent applicator, which is touch-free.
- The paraben-free and dye-free formula will please health-conscious consumers. The cream doesn’t burn the skin or irritate the underarm area.
- The product contains coconut oil and vitamin E, which are two ingredients that moisturize the skin.
- The product’s packaging claims that you will get smooth skin for up to 6 days after application.
- The touch-free application makes it easy to use and helps you avoid a mess.
- The product comes in a 3.3 oz stick, so you’ll have to keep repurchasing it as it doesn’t last you for many applications.
- Using the product more than once every 5 or 6 days can cause severe skin irritation.
Best Premium Product: Neomen Hair Removal Cream
If you’re looking for a premium brand depilatory cream, Neoman has you covered. This product is consistently an Amazon’s Choice because it is highly effective at removing all kinds of body hair. It gives you silky smooth skin without irritating sensitive areas.
The formula contains vitamin E, aloe vera, and baby oil. These moisturizing ingredients ensure healthy-looking skin after depilating. It has a fast-acting formula that removes hair in approximately 5 minutes. The cream destroys the hair follicles close to the root, so they don’t grow back so fast, leaving you with smoother skin for longer. The product includes a small spatula to help you remove the hair more quickly.
- A great value product because you are getting a high-quality product for about the same price of drugstore hair removal creams.
- The product comes in a portable size, so it’s easy to take with you while traveling.
- The formula is suitable for coarse and thick hair. It removes those dark coarse hairs in the pubic area.
- The product comes in a 3.7 oz squeeze tube, so you will need to keep repurchasing the cream often.
- The spatula that is included in the kit doesn’t remove all the dead hair effectively; you might need to use a washcloth as well.
Considerations before purchasing
Before you choose to buy a hair removal cream, consider some important factors that can influence your decision.
Is it safe to use depilatory creams?
If you are not allergic to the ingredients in the creams, it is safe to use depilatory creams. Always check the list of ingredients in the hair removal cream to make sure you are not allergic. Another good tip is to do a spot test. Apply the cream on a small patch on your leg and check that your skin doesn’t get red and irritated. Do this 24-hours before using the product on your body. Always read the label of the product and the instructions.
What are depilatory creams made of?
Hair removal creams are considered chemical products. They are mostly made of acids. The most common ingredient in brands like Nair and Veet are salts of thioglycolic acid, potassium hydroxide, and calcium. They target the keratin fibers and destroy the hair protein’s disulfide bonds. This causes the hair to disintegrate and fall out.
Choose the correct type of product
Not all depilatory creams can be used on all areas of the body. Most of them are formulated for use on specific areas of the body. For example, if you want to remove the hair around your face and mustache, use hair removal cream specifically formulated for facial hair removal. Creams for legs and body should never be used to remove hair on face or sensitive areas. If you have sensitive skin, always use a ‘sensitive skin’ formula.
Can you use it on your face and body?
As mentioned above, whether you can use the product on your face and body depends on the formula of the product. Many of the Veet brand products can be used an almost all areas of the body. Watch our for the face creams as those are specially formulated to remove tiny, short hairs.
The Bottom Line
When you choose a depilatory cream, always select one suited for the area of the body you will use it on. This means that you might have to buy several different hair removal creams to use on each body part. While it can be costly, all of these creams work effectively to remove even the most stubborn coarse hairs so you can get baby smooth skin.