There are so many metallic colors, but few have the wearable quality of copper. This metallic shade is the type of hair color that glimmers and glistens under light. It looks so bold and beautiful; it’s not surprising that so many women opt for it.
Besides, it’s the ideal mix between auburn, red, and golden hair. If you’re looking for a versatile color with gorgeous red, gold, and pink undertones, then copper is the trendy shade to try! It suits most skin tones and brightens up the complexion, so it’s kind of hard to get this wrong.
We’ve compiled a list of the top 8 best copper hair dyes so you can find something you like quickly!
What is copper hair color?
Copper hair color is a range of metallic copper shades. It’s similar to an auburn color, but it’s more metallic; therefore, it shimmers and glistens beautifully. This shade is the perfect combination of golden strawberry, red, and orange tones. It’s what you probably think of when you hear the term “ginger red,” except the copper tones make the hair look multidimensional.
In terms of DIY at-home copper color, it’s just like with any other color – you need to prep the hair first.
If you have dark hair, which means a mid-brown or darker copper adds additional richness and depth. It won’t make the hair lighter because copper dyes don’t lift the color. Therefore, we recommend applying copper to blonde or light brown hair.
Light-haired ladies are in luck because you can usually just apply the copper dye, and it resembles the color on the box. When applied to light blonde, the copper color is bright and vibrant.
Best Copper Hair Dye To Use At Home
Best for Light Hair Colors: Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme  Light Natural Copper
We recommend this copper dye for women with light hair color. The Nutrisse Nourishing range is perfect for dry and brittle hair because it contains a blend of nourishing oils. Avocado, olive, and shea oil are the top hair care ingredients because they prevent damage while you color your hair. The copper color is very shimmery and bold but more of a ginger tone. This hair dye leaves your hair feeling silky smooth, and it also covers greys. The best part about this affordable dye is that it colors effectively without causing any damage, so you don’t end up with straw-like locks. Plus, you get lots of shine and shimmer, so the color always looks multidimensional in the light.
- It is affordable.
- It contains a fruit oil ampoule with avocado, shea, and olive oil, which hydrates hair.
- The dye offers up to 100% grey coverage.
- Permanent hair color.
- The dye doesn’t have a strong chemical scent.
- Gentle on the hair.
- This color doesn’t lighten at all, so only use it on light hair or decolor first.
Best for Textured Hair: Creme Of Nature Exotic Shine Color #7.64 Bronze Copper
This permanent hair color works very well on all hair textures, including curly and wavy strands. It covers greys efficiently and leaves hair smooth and frizz-free. The bronze copper shade is a bit darker but full of richness and vibrancy. Hair looks extra shiny because the dye is infused with Moroccan argan oil. This ingredient also strengthens the hair from the inside, so your hair looks healthy and bouncy after coloring. As well, this formula is long-lasting and fade-resistant.
- This dye is nourishing because it contains Moroccan argan oil.
- No drip formula that’s easy to use.
- It uses micro-sphere technology to strengthen the hair.
- Works on all hair textures.
- If your hair is a bit darker, it takes much longer for the color to grab on.
Best Trendy Copper Shade: L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color, C74 Intense Copper
We recommend this hair dye for those who want a shimmery and almost iridescent light copper color. It’s the classic metallic copper shade you’ve been dreaming about. I’m sure you know this already, but the Feria range is the best for trendy and bold colors. This particular power copper shade contains three times the highlights of other boxed dyes. Therefore, you can be sure the color looks multidimensional and glistens in the light. The liquid gel formula is easy to apply, so even beginners can get this gorgeous color in no time.
- Very bold and vibrant copper color that’s always on-trend.
- It has a no-drip liquid gel formula, and it’s effortless to use.
- The dye contains highlights for multidimensional color.
- The color lasts for up to 8 weeks.
- Leaves hair shiny, smooth, and shimmery.
- It doesn’t cover grey hair.
Most Intense Color: Schwarzkopf Color Ultime Hair Color Cream, 5.84 Chocolate Copper
As part of their couture coppers, this particular shade is the ultimate luxurious reddish color. It works very effectively and covers all grey hair. The color lasts for up to 10 weeks without fading. What’s even better is that the intense shine also lasts for many weeks. Therefore, hair never looks dull or lifeless after coloring. The breakthrough Schwarzkopf formula is so powerful that people are going to think you’ve been to the salon. I particularly enjoy the bold glowy intensity of the copper shade, and it suits most skin tones!
- It covers up to 100% of grey hair.
- This is a premium and luxurious looking hair color.
- It contains pearl essence for extra shiny hair.
- The color is fade resistant for up to 10 weeks.
- It even works on darker hair colors.
- The formula contains ammonia.
Best Semi-Permanent Formula: Adore Semi-Permanent Haircolor #076 Copper Brown 4 Ounce
We recommend this particular Adore shade for those of you looking for a brown color with copper tones. It’s darker than the other coppers on our list, but it reflects light so beautifully, so it’s a gorgeous shade. This is a great formula because it doesn’t contain ammonia, alcohol, or peroxide. Therefore, it’s not going to damage and destroy your hair. This is a semi-permanent color that leaves hair smooth and shimmery for up to 6 weeks. Since this is a semi-permanent dye, you can use it to test out the copper color and decide if it’s right for you.
- Beautiful brownish copper shade.
- It’s very shimmery and shiny.
- There’s no ammonia, peroxide, and alcohol.
- It doesn’t cause dry and brittle hair.
- Leaves hair silky and smooth.
- It can wash out fast if you don’t use sulfate-free shampoos.
Best Premium Brand: John Frieda Precision Foam Permanent Color, Fiery Copper Sands
If you want premium results, I recommend this formula because the fiery copper shade is developed and used in salons. It’s a trendy but unique kind of copper shade with multi-tonal highlights. This formula is easy to apply because it penetrates deep into the roots for even color without any patchiness. Therefore, it offers deep saturation and complete coverage, just like at a salon. The kit also comes with a nourishing conditioner for silky and smooth hair that looks healthier than before you colored it.
- It has a no-drip foam formula that’s much easier to use than liquids and creams.
- The fiery copper is bold, vibrant, and extremely shiny.
- Applies evenly without any patchiness.
- This particular shade is unique.
- The formula is fade resistant.
- In most cases, the color resembles the model color on the box.
- This dye is more expensive than others, but a premium brand makes it.
Best Fade-Resistant Formula: Clairol Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Hair Coloring Tools, 6rc Bold Copper Citrine
This Vidal Sassoon dye has the perfect blend of pigments for a fiery copper shade that lasts for up to eight weeks of fade-proof color. It’s an intensely shiny metallic copper with many orange tones. Since it’s an ultra-powerful permanent color, you can rest assured that hair won’t look dull and patchy. The best part about this dye is that it makes the color pop and glimmer in the sunlight, so your hair always looks like you’ve just walked out of the salon.
- This is a very bold and vibrant metallic copper color.
- It lasts a long time without fading.
- It gives salon-grade results.
- The kit contains a Hydra Block Color Preserving Conditioner that prevents fadeout and hydrates at the same time.
- Covers greys.
- More expensive than some other dyes.
- It has a strong chemical scent.
Most Affordable: Clairol Nice’N Easy Permanent Hair Color, 8SC Medium Copper Blonde
This Clairol dye is very affordable for all budgets, and it gives a gorgeous, shiny color. The formula contains a blend of lowlights and highlights for multi-tonal copper color. It works best for blondes because it transforms the hair into a lovely light orangey copper shade. It also offers grey coverage, so it’s ideal for women of all ages. The new and improved formula doesn’t damage your hair because it’s full of hair conditioners. Therefore, you get silky, smooth, and shiny hair after each use without the side effects like dryness and breakage. Plus, the formula is very gentle on the scalp and hair strands, so you don’t need to worry about an itchy scalp.
- The color is fade resistant for up to eight weeks.
- This dye contains a mixture of highlights and lowlights, so hair looks multidimensional.
- It contains conditioners for smoother and healthier hair.
- Very cheap and affordable.
- It’s designed for all hair types and textures.
- This dye is suitable for sensitive skin.
- It’s not as good at covering greys as the others on the list.
Tip for Finding Copper Hair Dye
In case you’re struggling to find copper hair dye, here is a handy tip to help you out. Sometimes, it’s hard to tell between a strawberry blonde, copper, and auburn. Honestly, there are so many nuances that even the pros struggle to find the perfect copper. But, look at the color number of the hair dye. The color number for copper is 4. Anything with .4 in the shade number contains copper color or reflects. Therefore, you can tell if the shade has copper tones in it or not.
How to Care for Copper Hair Color
As with any other color, the aftercare is a crucial part of maintaining the color. If you want it to look its best, you need to take several haircare steps and make them a part of your beauty and styling routine. When you switch hair color and commit to the copper, it’s all about proper care and maintenance. Contrary to what you might think, copper doesn’t fade out faster than other colors.
The most important thing is to avoid washing your hair for 2 or 3 days after coloring. During this time, shampoo and conditioner is a big no-no. Remember that you’re stripping it of nourishing oils and the copper color every time you wash your hair.
When you wash your hair, make sure to use a sulfate-free shampoo because sulfate is a harsh ingredient that causes your color to wash out. For extra richness and depth, use a red tint-depositing shampoo.
Finally, we recommend a weekly hair mask to avoid brittle and dry hair. Look for ones that contain ingredients such as proteins and keratins. These strengthen the hair strand and prevent that damaged hair look. We also recommend a good coconut oil hair mask to replenish your locks with moisture. Lastly, make sure you avoid sun damage and UV rays because they decolor copper hair very quickly. The healthier your hair looks, the better the color looks also!
With more and more women switching to copper color, there’s no better time to give this trend a try! It’s the type of color that suits a variety of skin tones and eye colors. There’s really no going wrong with this trend because the metallic copper color is extremely eye-catching and shimmery.