When it comes to versatile hair color, blue is right there at the top of the list. With so many shade options, it’s not hard to find one that looks amazing. As you walk down the street, there’s no way your blue hair isn’t going to attract attention. After all, it’s such a vibrant and unique shade, so how could it not?
The good news is you don’t have to spend a lot of money at the hairdressers to get blue hair since there are so many fabulous blue dye kits you can use at home.
This post will share the top blue hair dyes on Amazon to help you make an informed decision.
How to prep for blue dye
The one crucial piece of info to note is that blue is one of those dye colors that fades relatively quickly compared to most other hues. The best way to make the dye last longer is to lighten your hair before coloring.
Here are some other helpful tips to help you get a vibrant head-turning color.
- Use a clarifying shampoo before dyeing: this type of shampoo removes any build-up on your hair and scalp. It also removes any leftover color from previous dyes. A clean canvas is always best when coloring your hair at home.
- If your hair has another dye on it, you need to use a color remover. This product removes and lifts off other colors. If you have light hair, then you can apply the blue color over it. However, if you have dark hair, you are better off bleaching it to ensure the blue dye looks good.
- If you want a blue tint, you can dye dark hair, but you need to lighten first if you are looking for a vibrant or neon type of blue hue.
- After decoloring or bleaching, use a deep hair conditioner to help repair the damage. If your hair is healthy, the blue color will look much better, and the dye won’t completely damage your locks.
- Wait a few days at least before applying the blue dye, or else you can really ruin your hair texture. There’s a chance you end up with brittle, broken, and dry hair, not to mention scalp irritation.
Best Overall: Arctic Fox Vegan Semi-Permanent Hair Dye Poseidon
Nothing says fun and playful like this mystical ocean-inspired bright blue. This dye is our top pick because it’s gentle on the hair, it offers a very vibrant color, and it’s vegan, so you know there are no harsh chemicals there. The dye is highly pigmented, so it sticks to the hair, making it look brighter for longer.
Arctic Fox is well-known for its vegan and cruelty-free formulas. They don’t make your hair feel brittle because they nourish and condition. Therefore, the hair looks soft, shiny, and healthy after coloring. When you apply the dye, it doesn’t smear and bleed like other similar formulas. Thus it’s easy to use, even for beginners, and the color lasts for about four weeks.
- This formula is vegan and cruelty-free.
- It doesn’t contain ammonia, peroxide, alcohol, and other harsh chemicals.
- The dye hydrates and nourishes the hair to make it soft and shiny.
- The color lasts very well, considering it’s a semi-permanent formula.
- Pleasant and mild fragrance.
- You can mix colors to create custom shades.
- If you apply to medium or dark hair, it doesn’t look vibrant and washes out faster.
Best Conditioning Formula: Jerome Russell Punky Colour Cream Atlantic Blue
If you want a shiny and luminescent Atlantic ocean blue, this Punky Color formula is sure to please. It’s the ultimate conditioning formula because it doesn’t damage your hair and is free from ammonia and other harsh chemicals. Formulated with high-quality vegetable-based ingredients, this dye hydrates and gives your hair a healthy glow.
This bold color is highly pigmented and stays vibrant for up to 35 washes. You can use it on special occasions or all-year-round because it’s easy to top-up and doesn’t destroy your hair. The best part of using this product is that it doesn’t stain your scalp, and it also doesn’t bleed out. Therefore the color actually stays on the hair, not all over your bathroom.
- This color is very bold and pigmented.
- It conditions and nourishes your hair, so it looks shiny and healthy.
- Long-lasting formula.
- It doesn’t stain or bleed.
- It fades gradually, so you don’t end up with patchiness.
- The formula is vegan and cruelty-free.
- It’s paraben-free.
- Some customers noted some color transfer in the beginning, especially on bedsheets.
Best Dark Blue: Adore Semi-Permanent Haircolor #112 Indigo Blue
Indigo blue is one of the deepest and richest blue shades out there. It’s best suited for women who prefer darker colors. This semi-permanent dye infuses hair with a soft yet fluffy texture, making the indigo appear bolder and shinier. The color looks luxurious, so you can’t even tell this dye costs less than ten dollars. In terms of lasting power, this shade doesn’t fade for about four to six weeks.
The formula is gentle on the hair because it’s free from ammonia, peroxide, and alcohol. Therefore, it’s safe to use on all hair types and textures, even thin, weak hair. The formula doesn’t drip and doesn’t stain, so you can easily apply it evenly. Once applied, the product deposits pigments and also deep conditions, so your hair looks shiny and healthy.
- This formula conditions and nourishes hair.
- The dye is very pigmented and offers a rich deep indigo hue.
- It makes hair look fluffy and multi-dimensional.
- The color is long-lasting and fades gradually.
- This product is easy to apply because it has a non-drip formula.
- It’s free from harsh chemicals, including ammonia and peroxide.
- If you mix shades, they might blend together during washing, and the color gets ruined.
Best Pastel Blue: Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dye, Anime – Candy Blue Fantasy Hair Color
If you’re searching for a cotton-candy pastel blue, the Lime Crime dye is an excellent budget-friendly option. The dye has a sweet candy smell because it’s made out of vegan and natural ingredients. Since it’s bleach and chemical-free, it doesn’t cause any type of damage. In fact, it nourishes and conditions your locks making them shinier and more voluminous. It also packs in some amazing conditioners, so your hair feels softer.
The color washes out gracefully and lasts for about four to six weeks. You don’t need to use any developer; thus, the application is quick and easy. All you have to do is spread the dye all over your hair straight from the jar. There’s no doubt this particular shade is eye-catchy and dreamy, and it looks perfect on medium, light-blonde, and platinum hair.
- This formula is bleach-free and doesn’t damage your hair.
- Vegan and cruelty-free.
- It conditions and makes your hair very soft and shiny.
- It gives full coverage and applies easily.
- The fragrance is sweet and pleasant.
- It’s a nice pastel light blue color, which is ideal for blondes.
- Color fades gracefully.
- Not ideal for dark hair.
Most Trusted Brand for Bold Color: Manic Panic Voodoo Blue Hair Dye Classic
When it comes to the most trusted brand for trendy bold colors, Manic Panic is right up there at the top of the list. This semi-permanent hair dye is best if you want a vibrant color that lasts long and washes out gradually. Voodoo Blue is a dark blue color with some green undertones. We recommend this product if you like to experiment with vibrant colors. The Manic Panic dyes don’t penetrate the hair’s cortex, they just deposit the color, so they’re great for beginners too.
This formula works best on pre-lightened hair. It is gentle, so it doesn’t cause any visible damage, such as breakage or brittleness. The dye is formulated with vegan ingredients, which smoothen dry ends and replenish your hair with moisture. Thus, you can use the dye frequently, knowing you’re not damaging your locks.
- Manic Panic is always one of the highest-rated brands for bold dyes.
- This formula doesn’t damage the hair.
- The formula is vegan and cruelty-free.
- It nourishes and smoothens dry ends.
- The color is very bold and vibrant, so it doesn’t wash out quickly.
- It’s suitable for frequent use because it’s gentle.
- The dye stains a lot during application.
Most Affordable: Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color Nourishing Hair Color Creme, DN1 Light Cool Denim
It’s hard to find a mainstream drugstore brand that offers blue colors, but Garnier Nutrisse is one of the few, and it makes a gorgeous light blue denim hue. This color is ideal for those with platinum and blonde hair looking to try the blue trend. The color is reflective and glimmery, so it looks multidimensional. Think of this shade as washed-out denim; it’s subtle enough to look elegant but still playful. Nutrisse contains color-boost technology, which makes the permanent dye last at least eight weeks.
The formula is full of nourishing conditioners such as avocado, shea, and olive oil. This makes hair feel silky soft and prevents any damage or dryness during the coloring process. The dye also contains grapeseed oil, which makes hair look shiny and healthy. If you’re worried about a messy application, this formula doesn’t disappoint. It is a no-drip creme, which lathers on easily without staining your skin, clothing, and bathroom. Thus, it’s very convenient to use.
- This color is very reflective and shiny.
- It has a no-drip creme formula that applies easily.
- The formula is very nourishing because it’s infused with triple fruit oils.
- This permanent color is long-lasting for about eight weeks.
- Color-boost technology makes this hue vibrant.
- It doesn’t dry out your hair.
- It doesn’t cover greys.
- It washes out heavily in the shower.
Best Temporary Hair Wax: YHMWAX Fashion Colorful Hair Wax Blue
Sometimes you only want to go blue for a day or two. That’s when a temporary hair wax comes in handy. This product turns your hair blue but washes out on the first hair wash. It has a gel wax consistency, and you can easily lather it on like you would a styling wax. The color is a super bright blue that shines all day long. Therefore, it’s ideal for festivals, parties, and cosplay.
The formula is made with plant-based ingredients that don’t cause any damage because they are gentle and non-irritating for your scalp and hair. When you apply it, the wax has a wet feeling, but it dries down matte in no time. Best of all, the product is environmentally friendly, so you don’t have to feel guilty about changing your color frequently.
- Temporary color that washes out on the first try.
- Gentle formula.
- It is made with plant-based ingredients.
- Easy to apply because it has a thick wax texture.
- The color is very pigmented and vibrant.
- If you have long hair, you need to use more than one tub of product.
Selecting the best blue hair dye is a bit tricky because there’s such shade variety. Therefore, I think it’s best to consider some of the following factors when choosing your dye.
If you use temporary or semi-permanent hair color, likely, the formula deposits color pigments, but those pigments don’t penetrate the hair shaft. These formulas are not as long-lasting as permanent dyes. However, there is a major advantage to using them because they fade out gradually. You want a slow fade formula because it makes the blue lighter and pastel-like, so it’s still wearable.
Check out buyer reviews to see if the formula bleeds. Color bleeding occurs when you wash your hair. If there is an intense amount of bleeding, your color washes out quickly, so it’s not a good formula.
For blue to stay vivid, you need to re-apply the dye often. Therefore, you don’t want a damaging formula. Instead, opt for gentle, natural, and vegan formulas. These are gentle on the hair and most often have excellent conditioning properties.
Avoid harsh chemicals such as ammonia, PPD, peroxide, parabens, and alcohol. These make your hair dry and brittle.
Look for dyes that have a non-drip formula, preferably thick creams or gels. Since you are applying a bold, bright color, you don’t want it to drip down on your skin or clothing as it leaves annoying stains. Messes are such a hassle to clean up in your bathroom.
It’s okay to be nervous about turning your hair blue, but you can rest assured that the products on this list are gentle. You can experiment with this playful color without committing full-time as the dyes fade out gradually and gracefully. So, if you’ve always wanted a bold feisty color, I suggest you give blue a try.