If you love dark hair, but want more than the generic black or dark brown, consider the trendiest dark hair color: blue-black. This vibrant dark color is a combination of black hair color with rich blue tints. Upkeep for this hair color can be expensive at the salon because the color requires constant maintenance. That’s why your best option is an at-home box dye kit.
A high quality dye kit offers long-lasting color, great coverage, vibrant tones, and best of all, these dyes don’t cause extensive hair damage. There are several types of blue-black hair dyes, with some that offer a light blue tint, while others give a vivid blue hue to your hair.
Our list of the top 9 best blue-black hair dyes includes affordable, salon-grade, and Amazon bestsellers to help you make the best choice for your next coloring DIY.
What is blue black hair dye?
Blue black hair refers to cool-toned hair color that is a combination of black and blue. This particular shade is an unnatural hair color. Most people describe this hair trend as artificially colored hair that is black but has a blue hue under the light. The blue tint appears as a highlight in the hair. If done right, the blue black hair color looks uniform, and the two shades blend together to shimmer nicely in natural light. The most popular hue of this kind is called ‘midnight blue.’
The combination of black and blue is subtle yet very popular. In certain light conditions, the hair looks almost jet black, while at times, it seems closer to a midnight blue.
Blue black hair is currently very trendy, and the reason for that is quite simple. Dark hair often looks one dimensional and flat. But, blue black hair always looks multidimensional, which makes it beautiful.
Can you get this hair color at home?
As we mentioned above, this is not a naturally occurring color. A hair colorist can give your hair this color by lightening or bleaching, then applying indigo or a blue black shade. Luckily, you don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars to dig into this trend. You can DIY this hair color with boxed dye. Many of the popular brands offer some blue black shades that look vibrant and cost less than $20.
For the best results, lighten your hair first and then apply the hair dye. But, as you’ll find out, some formulas work on all hair colors without lightening.
Best Blue Black Hair Dye To Use At Home
Best Value Blue Black Hair Dye: Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme Nourishing Color Creme 22 – Intense Blue Black
This blue black shade from Garnier is one of the most trusted at-home hair dye kits. If you want a deep blue-tinted hair color, this is the top pick for the best value product.
It has an affordable price tag, and it gives excellent results. Expect to get a vibrant color from this dye because it has strong blue pigments that give hair a multidimensional effect. This dye is suitable for any woman because it offers 100% grey hair coverage; thus, you can use it at any age and feel confident that your greys aren’t visible.
You’ll be happy to know that this is a gentle formula that doesn’t damage or destroy your hair. It is enriched with three nourishing oils: avocado, olive, and shea. These make hair look strong, healthy, and shiny long after coloring.
- This product has a no-drip formula, which means that it is easy to apply all over the hair evenly. Plus, it won’t make a mess in your bathroom thanks to its thick consistency.
- The dye is permanent, which means it will last you up to eight weeks with minimal color fade out.
- It has a nourishing and conditioning formula with avocado, olive oil, and shea.
- Covers all grey hairs.
- Some customers say that the blue black shade needs more frequent touch-ups.
Best Semi-Permanent: Adore Semi-Permanent Haircolor #130 Blue Black
If you are looking for a temporary color or you want to test out a blue black color to see if it suits you, try this cream from Adore. The advantage of using a semi-permanent dye is that it doesn’t last long, so the color fades in the case that you don’t like it. This formula lasts approximately two to four weeks without fading. But, if you love the shade and want to keep it nice and blue black, you can re-dye your hair as often as you like.
This formula doesn’t damage your hair at all. In fact, it has a gentle formula that is free of harmful ingredients such as ammonia, peroxide, and alcohol. This dye is also an excellent option for touch-ups because it also covers your greys. So, if you want to try a nourishing dye that offers vibrant color, give this one a go.
- Free from harmful chemicals like ammonia, alcohol, and peroxide, which are known to cause hair damage.
- The color doesn’t fade so easily and lasts longer than other brands of semi-permanent hair dye.
- The dye doesn’t stain, so you don’t need to use any color removing formulas or wipes. This means the application is easy and mess-free.
- For an intense, vibrant shade of blue black, you may need to use more than one bottle.
Best Powder: Hannah Natural 100% Pure Indigo Powder for Hair Dye
Here is a different type of hair dye. The Hannah Indigo Powder is a natural henna hair color. There are no harsh chemicals in this product, as it’s made of natural indigo leaf powder. In this kit, you have all you need to DIY blue black hair color without using chemicals. The kit includes indigo leaf powder, gloves, and a shower cap.
To use the dye, simply follow the instructions on the package and mix the powder into a creamy paste. Once the paste has a thick consistency, apply the product all over the hair, and wait for it to color the strands. What’s best about this type of product is that it doesn’t damage hair at all and leaves hair looking fresh and sleek.
- This powder leaves hair looking extra shiny after use.
- This formula is all-natural; therefore, you don’t need to worry about harmful chemicals and allergens.
- There is zero damage as a result of using this product so that it can be used often.
- This dye does not contain chemicals. Therefore, you need to keep it on the hair for a longer time than traditional colorants. The coloring process takes more time.
Best for Damaged Hair: Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color, Permanent Hair Dye with Keratin
If you suffer from damaged, dry, or overstyled hair but still want that beautiful blue black color, this is the dye to use. This Revlon formula is perfect for dry, brittle hair because it has an intensely nourishing formula. As well, it is free from ammonia, a harsh chemical responsible for damaging hair follicles. The 3D gel dye is infused with keratin, which makes hair strands stronger and amino acids that give hair moisture. Thus, the coloring process becomes easy and damage-free.
There’s nothing like a deep blue tint that looks shiny and sleek in the light. The formula of this product leaves you with conditioned, healthy-looking locks. So, if you’ve been worried about hair fallout and breakage after coloring, this formula can help you out. It will give you a beautiful indigo shade for less than $10.
- The blue shade of this dye looks natural. Therefore the blueish strands blend in perfectly with the black.
- This product is excellent because it covers 100% of greys, even thick, stubborn strands.
- The formula does not contain ammonia.
- The dye has a pleasant scent.
- The blue black color looks more natural, and the blue tints are not as visible. If you want an intense, vibrant blue tint, skip this one.
Best Vibrant Blue: L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color, 411 Downtown Denim
For a cool grunge look, this Feria hair color offers a vibrant, shiny, and multi-tonal color that is long-lasting. This hair color has more blue pigment than the others. Therefore, it provides a vivid and vibrant color. Best of all, you can get this vibrant shade without bleaching your hair because the dye covers most colors efficiently. The Feria formula is potent and contains fade-resistant ingredients so you can be sure the dye is not going to wash out after a couple of washes.
The kit includes a nourishing conditioner that has a pleasant scent. It keeps your hair looking shiny and healthy for weeks. This is the dye kit to select if you want a bold hair color that stands out from the rest. The L’Oreal formula contains 3x the highlights to prevent flat or bland coloring results.
- This is the most vibrant blue black hue that you can get without lightening or bleaching before use.
- The Power Shimmer conditioner protects hair from fading and offers intense shine and smoothness.
- The product does not cause any significant hair damage, so it can be used frequently to maintain the blue black hair color.
- The formula contains ammonia, which not only smells bad, but it can cause hair to break and dry out.
Best Salon Grade: Goldwell Topchic Hair Color, 2A Blue Black
For salon-like results, this Goldwell hair dye is as close as it gets to real salon results. This product is highly effective and offers permanent color. The formula is a permanent alkaline dye made with patented Color Link technology to ensure the dye sticks to hair. What this means is that you’ll get an even coverage of color from root to tip. The color is fade-resistant and vibrant so that the blue pigments will look multidimensional.
As the dye colors your hair, it actively nourishes and strengthens hair strands and follicles. The dye is formulated with hydrolyzed wheat protein and panthenol, which work to strengthen hair and boost shine. If you’ve been struggling with blue black color not sticking to your hair, give this powerful formula a try.
- This formula works well on hair that doesn’t absorb color. The color link technology ensures molecules stick together.
- Hair looks shinier and brighter because of the hydrolyzed wheat protein and pantheon.
- This formula covers stubborn hair and offers grey coverage, so your hair will have even color.
- This product is more expensive than the other dyes, with a cost of over $20.
Best for Grey Coverage: Bigen Powder Hair Color #88 Blue Black
For those stubborn grey hairs that always seem to pop through your hair color, you can use this Bigen dye and forget about them. This blue black hair dye is specially formulated to give an intense, long-lasting color. The product is easy to use and comes in powder form; all you need to do is mix the powder with tap water and mix into a paste. This product is excellent because, besides the vibrant color, it gives hair a sheen finish, so you can be sure it will shine beautifully in the light.
The formula does not contain peroxide or ammonia, which is great because it does not cause any damage to your hair follicles. Even though the formula is gentle, the color works on all types of hair and hair colors. The best part is, you don’t need to decolor your hair beforehand. When the color begins to fade, it washes out easily and doesn’t look patchy.
- The product doesn’t have a strong chemical scent like most other boxed dyes due to its ammonia-free formula.
- This dye is very easy to use even for beginners because all you need to do is mix the powder with water for a gel-like cream.
- It is an affordable product that costs approximately $8.
- The roots need to be re-dyed every two weeks for maximum grey coverage. But, the intensity and coverage are excellent if applied frequently.
Best Midnight Blue: Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Permanent Hair Color
The most popular blue black hue is no doubt the midnight blue. If this is the exact color you are looking for, then Vidal Sassoon’s box dye has you covered. This at-home dye kit was created by salon experts to give you a salon-grade look for a fraction of the cost. The blend of high-intensity pigments will make the permanent color look vibrant and fresh for longer than other similar products.
The kit includes a color-preserving conditioner which ensures your color stays bold and streak-free for up to eight weeks. Customers rave about this product’s viscous formula. It can be used as a foam product and applied with a comb to ensure even color coverage from your roots to the tips.
- The product does not cause any itching or scalp irritation because it is gentle of the hair and scalp.
- The water-resistant conditioner helps hair stay healthy and looks sleek, shiny, and vibrant even after shampooing.
- The pigments in this dye are well combined, so your hair shines in the light and looks multidimensional.
- Some people claim that the midnight blue looks more like jet black on their hair type.
Best Natural: Pride Of India – Indigo Hair Color Powder w/Gooseberry & Falsedaisy
Did you know that you can get blue black hair from henna made with all-natural ingredients? This Indian hair powder dye is ideal for health-conscious consumers looking for natural dye options. The dye is made from henna, indigo powder, gooseberry, and bhringraj plants. Best of all, it will not damage hair at all, and it can be used as frequently as you like. It’s so easy to maintain the color because you can make this paste and apply it for 30 minutes to get a very rich, vibrant hue.
You’ll be pleased to know that this is a cruelty-free product. Also, it does not contain any pesticides, harmful chemicals, ammonia, PPD, or toxic compounds. The formula also includes a selection of popular Indian herbs that condition and nourish each hair strand for shiny, sleek-looking locks.
- This henna powder is made from natural ingredients only such as gooseberry, Lawsonia, soapnut, and more.
- The product comes in a jar shaped bottle in powder form. You can take as much as you need and mix with water to form a paste that is easy to apply.
- This powder is not only effective at coloring hair, but it also conditions well and gives you strong, healthy-looking hair.
- This product stains a lot, so it’s necessary to use gloves when handling and applying the product. The stains are hard to remove.
What type of blue black dye is available?
There are two main categories of hair dye you can buy.
Permanent Hair Dye
This is the type of hair color that lasts longer. Although the name is ‘permanent,’ the color doesn’t last forever; it refers to color that stays on the hair for about eight weeks or more. This type of color works by stripping away your hair’s natural color and replaces it with the new pigment. Therefore, this color penetrates deep into the hair follicles and strands. As the roots grow out, you need to keep reapplying the color to make it uniform with the rest of the hair.
There are two types of non-permanent color.
- Semi-permanent: this type of color is very popular. It only stains the exterior of the hair strands. It lasts for approximately 4 to 8 weeks and washes out slowly every time you wash your hair and use shampoo.
- Demi-permanent: these types of dyes, last a bit longer than the semi-permanent formulas. They penetrate deeper into the hair, and that’s why they may last longer. This type of color is excellent at covering grey hair. In general, a demi-permanent dye is used to deepen the natural hair color or to cover roots.
When choosing your blue black hair dye of choice, make sure you consider how long you want the color to last, what types of ingredients you want to apply to your hair, and what hue of blue black you prefer.
How do I maintain blue black hair?
Blue black is a very intense dark hair color. It looks best when the color is vibrant and fresh. For that reason, it is considered a high-maintenance color because it’s recommended that you refresh the color often. If the blue tint washes out, hair is left looking patchy and bland. But don’t fret, there are ways to make sure the hair keeps its luster.
Here are some steps you can take to prevent the color from fading out early:
- Don’t shampoo immediately after coloring. Instead, wait for about three days before you give your hair a deep clean.
- Always use color-safe shampoo specially formulated for colored hair.
- Rinse your hair with cold water to keep the color locked into hair cuticles. Warm water causes cuticles to open and lose color pigment.
- Use the color-protecting conditioner or a hair mask every week to ensure that hair stays nourished, hydrated, and shiny.
- Don’t expose your hair to UV rays as these damage hair and cause color to fade.
The Bottom Line
It’s now possible to get beautiful, trendy, blue black hair with boxed dyes for approximately $20. Even though this hair color trend is considered high-maintenance, these dyes are easy to use and don’t cause hair damage so that you can reapply them quite often. If you follow our hair care tips, your blue black hue will last longer, keep its luster and shimmer in the light. So, say goodbye to expensive salon visits and try this color DIY at home, you’ll love the rich tones of this dark color.