Blonde is one of those colors that’s always on-trend during all seasons. Since so many women choose blonde as their favorite color, I think blondes really DO have more fun!
With so many shades available, it’s hard to choose the perfect shade. Have you ever tried to pick the perfect color only to realize there are another five that look almost exactly the same? Well, to make things easier, it’s best to choose a blonde that suits your skin tone and eye color.
In this post, we’ll share our top 7 best blonde hair dyes and explain how to choose the best one for your complexion.
Trendy Blonde Hues
Back in the day, it platinum was revolutionary – everyone wanted it, and yet very few had the courage to pull it off. But now, there are so many beautiful hues, and the trends are constantly evolving. Some of the most popular shades of blonde this year are:
- Champagne blush
- Nordic white
- Undone blonde, which is a golden blonde with darker roots
- Bright highlights
- Baby blonde
- Copper blonde
Luckily, you don’t have to go to the salon to take part in the blonde hair trends. Many of the most popular brands offer trendy and innovative hues to please all. If you have a dark hair color, you need to bleach and decolor your hair first. But once you’ve achieved a blonde color, stay within two shades with the new blonde shade. This gives you the best results, and the chances are that what you see on the box is what you get.
7 Best Blonde Hair Dyes To Use At Home
Best Cool Toned Blonde: Clairol Nice’n Easy Permanent Hair Color, 10C Extra Light Cool Blonde
It’s not as striking as an icy or platinum blonde, but this cool-toned shade is the perfect shade for blue eyes. But don’t worry, anyone can use it because it’s a more muted blonde. Fans of Clairol like these dyes because the colors flatter most people. This no-drip formula is very easy to use and offers up to 100% grey coverage. It also infuses your hair with conditioners to ensure your hair looks healthy after coloring. This color looks great if you already have blonde hair because it gives three salon tones and highlights. Therefore, your hair looks multi-dimensional and shiny.
- This dye contains highlights and lowlights, so the color looks multi-tonal and reflective in the light.
- The dye covers greys.
- Permanent color that lasts up to two months.
- It doesn’t smell bad.
- Easy to apply because the formula doesn’t drip.
- This dye contains ammonia, so make sure to apply it in a ventilated area.
Best Platinum Blonde: Revlon Color Effects, Permanent Platinum Blonde Hair Dye
An ammonia-free platinum blonde is a rare find. But this amazing Revlon formula contains their well known luminous platinum powder. It’s crafted for people with light brown and blonde hair. It adds that icy platinum blonde shade, and it looks super vibrant, so people will think you just came out of the salon. The permanent dye lasts for up to eight weeks without fading. But the best part is that the formula is infused with nourishing keratin and jojoba oil for hydration and damage protection. Therefore, you can be sure your hair is going to feel soft and silky.
- An ammonia-free formula that doesn’t damage your hair.
- It lightens very well and gives a beautifully vibrant, platinum blonde color.
- It hydrates your hair, thanks to jojoba oil and keratin.
- The formula is infused with sunflower oil, so it leaves your hair feeling super soft.
- The platinum powder makes the color very luminous and shiny.
- It turns grey hair white.
- The color can turn out uneven and more yellow-toned. You might need to apply this dye more than once.
Best Vegan Formula: Naturtint Permanent Hair Color 9.31 Sandy Blonde
Consider this dye if you want a warm-toned sandy blonde. It’s a great vegan formula without any harsh chemicals, so it’s gentle on the scalp and hair. You don’t need to worry about damage, brittleness, and dry ends. Since it’s a permanent hair color, it lasts for about two months and also covers grey hairs. In terms of ingredients, this is the cleanest formula on our list. It is free from ammonia, parabens, and resorcinol. It’s also vegan and cruelty-free. Expect a warmer reddish blonde color with this particular shade. It looks beautiful and also leaves hair silky smooth.
- This formula doesn’t contain ammonia, parabens, and other harsh and dangerous chemicals.
- It covers grey hair.
- Vegan and cruelty-free.
- It contains meadowfoam seed oil, which softens and moisturizes the hair.
- It doesn’t contain artificial fragrances, so it’s suitable for sensitive skin.
- This is a fade-resistant and long-lasting formula.
- The color turns out more reddish on some hair types, so beware if you hate the strawberry blonde look.
Best Natural Looking Formula: L’Oreal Paris Superior Preference Fade-Defying + Shine Permanent Hair Color
When you want a hue that looks like a natural ‘born with it’ type of blonde, this L’Oreal dye is an excellent option. It harmonizes the roots and the rest of the hair to look much more natural than other formulas. This liquid gel formula is quick and easy to use, and it doesn’t drip. It’s enhanced with a shine serum, so your hair looks lustrous and silky. This adds dimension to the color, so your hair never looks flat and lifeless. It is a long-lasting formula with fade-resistant results for up to 8 weeks. Customers love this L’Oreal dye formula because it blends into your base hair color perfectly. It doesn’t cover greys, but it blends them away so they are far less visible, especially if you already have blonder roots.
- Blends away grey hair.
- It’s a permanent hair color that’s long-lasting.
- The formula contains a shine serum for extra shiny and silky hair.
- Easy to use liquid gel formula.
- This hair dye doesn’t damage your hair and doesn’t cause breakage.
- For some people, the color turned brassy and reddish.
See also: Best Red Hair Dyes
Best for Highlights: L’Oreal Paris Couleur Experte Color + Highlights in a Flash, Medium Iridescent Blonde – Ice
Imagine getting a blonde color and highlights in one go without a salon visit. If you want to try a unique at-home dye kit, this one doesn’t disappoint. It is a combination of a one of a kind base color + highlight kit. It is a lighter blonde all-over color with iridescent icy blonde highlights that gives a multidimensional look. This complete kit is very easy to use so you can create beautiful vivid highlights at home. The L’Oreal formula works super fast; you get a vibrant base color and the icy highlights in as little as half an hour. The kit comes with a control touch fingertip applicator so you can really be precise with those highlights. Make sure your hair is already a blonde shade to avoid brassiness.
- It’s a very unique 2-in-1 product with a base color and highlights.
- Comes with a fingertip applicator that lets you create thin highlights.
- Color is fade-resistant and long-lasting.
- The highlights are very radiant and shiny.
- Covers greys.
- This product contains ammonia, so it has that strong chemical scent.
You may be interested in: Best Purple Hair Dye
Best Gentle Formula: Schwarzkopf Simply Color Hair Color, 9.0 Light Blonde
A sensitive scalp can set you back when it comes to DIY hair color. You’re probably afraid to use most dyes because they are very harsh on your skin, and they contain many chemicals. You can even experience an allergic reaction! But, this Schwarzkopf formula is made for people with a sensitive scalp, and it claims that it does not cause allergic reactions and stinging. The formula is dermatologist tested and ammonia-free. It’s a gentle type of dye but still delivers a vibrant bright blonde color. Hair looks healthy even after coloring because the dye contains argan oil, oat milk, and soy protein, making hair softer and nourishing it from root to tip. It also offers grey coverage, so it’s a versatile formula that delivers impressive results without causing damage to your hair.
- It offers grey hair coverage.
- The formula is nourishing because it contains oat milk and argan oil.
- The color is very bright and vibrant.
- Free from ammonia, silicone, and alcohol.
- People with sensitive skin and scalp can use this product.
- The formula is dermatologist tested, so it doesn’t irritate.
- Schwarzkopf dyes are known to give beautiful salon-like results.
- The color appears darker than the image on the box.
Best Dye & Conditioner Combo: dpHUE Gloss+ – Dark Blonde, 6.5 oz – Color-Boosting Semi-Permanent Hair Dye & Deep Conditioner
Dark blonde is an underrated color that actually gives your hair a lot of richness and dimension. While it’s not as ‘in your face’ as platinum, it flatters most people. This innovative salon-grade product is the perfect combination of a semi-permanent color and a deep conditioner. It makes hair look super glossy and shiny, so you always feel like you’ve just walked out of a premium salon. This product enhances natural or color-treated hair and makes it look healthier. It is similar to a color depositing shampoo, but it’s a dye. The pigmented gloss formula is free from harsh chemicals and bad ingredients like parabens and sulfates. Therefore, you can use this product worry-free.
- This product makes your hair look very shiny and glossy.
- It deposits a beautiful caramel dark blonde pigment.
- You can mix different shades of this product to create your own custom shade.
- Works well if you want to tone and condition highlights and ombre hair.
- It is a vegan product.
- You don’t need to mix anything, simply lather it on. This makes it very easy to use.
- It is more expensive than the other dyes on the list.
- Color is less intense.
How to choose blonde hair color
Here are some tips to help you choose a great blonde hair color. Since there are so many on the market, it can feel like an overwhelming task.
- Consider your eye color: keep in mind that the lighter your eye color, the lighter your blonde can be. Platinum looks amazing on people with blue and green hair colors. However, don’t let your eye color limit your options. You can choose a medium or dark blonde with very light blonde tips. This type of hair color suits everyone.
- Pick the best color for your skin tone: choose a cool blonde shade if you have a cool undertone. If you have a warm undertone, choose warm shades. It’s best to match your undertone with the dye’s undertone as that makes the color look more natural.
- Pinky, fair, and pale skin tones look good with a delicate light blonde, like a beige blond. On the other hand, darker and yellow skin tones look best with caramel or honey-golden blonde hair color.
- If you want your color to look more dynamic, choose highlights, or a balayage hair color. That implies mixing a few different blonde shades together to create multi-dimensional hair color. This way, your hair never looks dull or lackluster.
- When selecting a formula, don’t forget to check the ingredients. Look for formulas enhanced with nourishing oils or keratin, which strengthens and conditions the hair. The last thing you want is to end up with brittle, dead-looking hair.
Don’t let the large variety of blonde hues overwhelm you. Picking the right color comes down to selecting the best blonde shade. Whether you go for platinum, cool blonde, or a golden caramel, you’re sure to find something that levels up your look. These easy to use at-home dyes are all affordable. They are also nourishing and infuse your locks with shine. They don’t damage your hair and give long-lasting color. You can say goodbye to expensive salon visits!