When it comes to at-home hair dyes getting the perfect black color is a challenge. Black hair dye can look patchy and muted. There’s nothing more disappointing than ending up with a faded look, when all you really want is rich, deep black color.
Choosing the perfect shade of black involves some planning. First, you must consider your hair texture. Second, you need to pick a shade of black that suits your complexion. After all, not all black hair dyes are created equal.
In this post, we’ll share the top 7 best black hair dyes from Amazon to help you choose the perfect at-home color.
Why should I try black hair color?
Black hair color is universally flattering and beautiful on all skin tones. Black hair is associated with a mysterious allure, and it shines beautifully in the light. This color is so versatile because there are many shades of gorgeous black dye out there.
There are blue infused shades like the classic ‘midnight blue’ as well as chocolatey tones and, of course, the all-time favorite ebony black.
Best Overall: L’Oreal Paris Superior Preference Fade-Defying + Shine Permanent Hair Color, 1.0 Ultimate Black
If you are looking for the darkest black color, this L’Oreal dye is an excellent option. It has some of the best reviews on Amazon because it is both affordable and highly pigmented. So, it’s not surprising women love this formula.
The ‘Ultimate Black’ shade has warm color notes, so it is ideal for people with cool undertones in their skin. This fade-defying formula is easy to apply, and the color payoff is excellent. It covers almost any hair color effectively, so you don’t need to keep re-applying to achieve a rich black.
Since it’s a permanent gel dye, it is long-lasting, so it can last you up to eight weeks without fading. This formula is gentle on the hair without causing breakage and damage, especially when used with the supreme conditioner.
- Gives luminous and multidimensional color
- Nourishes the hair
- Makes hair shiny because it contains golden camelina oil
- Contains a UV filter
- Blends away gray hair
- Contains antioxidant vitamin E
- Very strong scent
Best for Dark Skintones: Dark & Lovely Color #371 Jet Black
This permanent black hair dye is suitable for both natural and relaxed hair. It also works very well on textured hair, so you don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars at a hair salon to get gorgeous color. The dye leaves your hair with a super soft texture, so it’s easy to style.
One of the other benefits of this hair dye is that it offers complete gray hair coverage. As well, it lasts for up to eight weeks without losing its vibrant color. This jet black shade is highly pigmented, so you can be certain that the color is a deep black and fade resistant.
The formula doesn’t damage the hair strands because it is formulated with an anti-drying mix of hair oils. These include shea, avocado, and olive oil to leave locks hydrated so that hair can maintain its healthy-looking shine.
- The liquid gel formula is easy to apply
- Affordable price
- Contains a nourishing conditioner with argan oil and vitamin E
- Gives hair a luminous shine
- Offers gray hair coverage
- Can start to wash out sooner than stated on the packaging
Best Semi-Permanent: Clairol Natural Instincts Semi-Permanent Color
If you want a gentle formula that doesn’t cause dry, brittle hair, this trusted Clairol dye is an excellent option. It is made of 80% natural ingredients; therefore, it’s healthier for the hair. The color is vibrant and lasts for up to 28 washes so that you can go longer between coloring.
This product is such a bestseller because this dye is a classic no-drip cream that is very easy to apply. The ammonia-free formula is much cleaner than other similar drugstore boxed dyes. It contains conditioning ingredients such as aloe vera and coconut oil, which keeps hair smooth and nourished.
Since this is a semi-permanent dye, the color is not as intense, but it’s perfect for trying out dark hair color. The color looks more like a natural black than a salon-grade dye, but it’s ideal for women looking to get subtle yet beautiful, shiny black locks.
- Lasts 28 washes
- Natural-looking black color
- Contains nourishing ingredients like aloe vera and coconut oil
- It is gentle on the hair
- Made with mostly natural ingredients
- Color is not as intense as a permanent black dye
Best Nourishing Formula: Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Hair Color Creme, 11 Blackest Black
When you have dry hair, coloring is a challenge. You’re probably worried about further damaging your dry hair, but luckily, the Garnier Nutrisse formula doesn’t cause damage. When you go dark, it can have similar effects to bleaching, and if your hair is already weak and dried out, it makes it look lifeless.
This formula is infused with nourishing ingredients like olive, avocado, and grapeseed oils. It also contains shea butter, which makes hair look and feel soft after coloring. With these conditioning ingredients, your hair is sure to look better and feel healthier.
The color lasts for up to 8 weeks with minimal fading. It also covers gray hair, so you don’t need to use a different touch-up product. But, since it’s an affordable dye and it’s gentle on the hair, you can use it as often as you like without completely destroying your hair.
- Very nourishing and doesn’t dry out the hair
- Contains natural ingredients like shea butter, avocado, olive oil, and grapeseed oil
- Covers gray hairs
- Non-drip crème formula
- Permanent Color
- Makes hair glossy
- Can give hair an orange tint
Best Vegan Formula: Naturtint – Permanent Hair Colorant – 1N Ebony Black
When you don’t want a hair dye full of harmful and potentially dangerous chemicals, a natural and vegan hair color kit is the best choice. This one by Naturtint is free from ammonia, parabens, as well as artificial fragrance. Therefore, it’s suitable for people with a sensitive scalp.
This formula also nourishes and conditions the hair to prevent any damage. It contains oleic acid and meadowfoam seed oil, which infuses the hair with moisture and makes it silky smooth.
All of the range’s shades are mixable so that you can customize your own perfect dark color. The black pigments are rich and vibrant, and best of all, they don’t wash out quickly. If you have gray hairs, then this dye covers them up to 100%, so you can always look flawless.
- Formulated with natural ingredients
- Long-lasting color
- Doesn’t damage your hair
- Smoothes and hydrates
- Covers grays
- More expensive than others
- Since it’s ammonia-free, the color fades faster
Best Gray Hair Coverup: Clairol Nice’n Easy Perfect 10 Permanent Hair Color, 2 Black
The Nice’n Easy formula is excellent for mature hair with many grays. It works quickly and covers up all the grey hairs and roots in as little as 10 minutes. The product comes with a patented perfect color comb to make application quick and effortless.
This shade is a classic black, and it flatters most skin tones and hair textures. The dye penetrates deep into the hair strand for superior color coverage. Best of all, it doesn’t fade for eight weeks. When used with the color seal conditioning gloss (it is included), hair looks much more glossy and shiny.
The product is a cream formula, so it’s easy to use with the comb. All you have to do is brush through the strands. Make sure to place enough product on the roots where you want full gray coverage. Once the cream penetrates the hair, the ingredients help the pigment stick to the strands.
- Long-lasting color
- Offers up to 100% gray coverage
- Glossy color
- Vibrant black shade
- Conditions the hair
- The conditioner makes hair very smooth
- Contains PPD
Best Premium: Aveda Full Spectrum – Natural Black
The Aveda formula is a premium salon-grade hair dye. It’s the best way to get salon-like results with an at-home hair dye kit without paying hundreds of dollars.
Aveda dye is formulated with many natural ingredients, such as sunflower, castor, and jojoba oils. These make the hair look very shiny and soft. The color resists fading, and the shine doesn’t fade either, especially if you use a conditioner during hair washing.
This formula doesn’t contain harmful chemicals and allergens, so it’s suitable for sensitive skin. Therefore, it doesn’t cause any hair damage, dryness, and breakage. Even though it’s a pricier product, customers love this formula because it feels more like putting on a conditioner than a dye.
- Gives salon-like results
- Fade-resistant color
- Hydrating and nourishing
- Free from harmful ingredients
- Makes hair soft and silky
- Very vibrant black shade
- Has a strong scent
Buyer’s Guide: How to Choose the Perfect Black Hair Color
With so many at-home hair coloring kits, choosing the perfect shade is challenging, especially if you haven’t tried a black color before. If you’ve been dying your hair black for a long time, you know that not all formulas are the same.
We all want that shiny raven-black hair color without damaging our locks. After all, nobody wants to have weak, dry, and brittle hair that looks flat and lifeless. That’s why we’ve chosen the best hair dyes that give a lovely shade of black and nourish and condition simultaneously.
Here’s what to do to get great looking color:
- Start off with the dark color that’s closest to your natural or current hair color.
- Keep progressively dying your hair darker and darker until you achieve the perfect black.
- Pick a shade that complements your skin tone. A blue-toned black is best for warm or neutral skin tones. A chocolate black is better for cool skin tones.
- If you have fine or medium textured hair, the color absorbs into the hair strands better, so you get a richer black.
- If you have curly or relaxed hair, it absorbs the black pigments slowers. This type of hair is also prone to more breakage, so choose a formula like the Dark and Lovely, formulated explicitly for relaxed hair.
What to look for in a dye:
- Ammonia: this ingredient is harmful to your hair, but it makes the dye last much longer. It is responsible for causing dry hair, but it also makes the black appear more vibrant and rich.
- An ammonia-free formula fades much faster and is less effective at covering gray hairs. However, you can use them more often to re-touch the color because they are far less damaging.
- Hydration: formulas with nourishing hair oils such as olive, grapeseed, and avocado are the best. They help your hair maintain its moisture and cause less damage. They also prevent dryness and breakage.
Type of dye:
- Choose between a permanent or semi-permanent black hair dye. The permanent usually contain ammonia but lasts longer than the semi-permanent formula. If you choose a semi-permanent formula, it can still last 4-6 weeks before it fades completely.
- Looks at reviews to see how fast the dyes wash out after coloring. With most formulas, they can start to wash out once you wash your hair a couple of times.
- Many of the most popular black dyes offer up to 100% gray hair coverage because brands know that customers are looking for this feature. However, there are some brands of popular drugstore dyes that don’t offer any gray coverage.
After browsing through the options, you can look at all the black shades and pick the one that is most likely to complement your skin tone. We can tell you that it’s easy to get a rich, sultry color at home. At-home box dyes are actually relatively easy to use, and since they are affordable, you can experiment until you find your favorite shade. So, the next step is to pack on the dye and watch your hair transformation unfold.