If you’ve ever seen old Hollywood movies, you’ve probably noticed that many actresses had a gorgeous reddish-brown hair color. This type of color was wildly popular from the 30s onwards, and it’s still trendy nowadays. Therefore, if you want to get gorgeous reddish-brown color, I suggest you try it because there’s nothing classier than a glossy auburn.
This particular color ranges in shades from medium to dark. It’s the best way to combine a ginger color’s beauty with the richness of chocolatey brown. This type of color never goes out of style because it’s a classic and timeless shade. It suits both warm and neutral skin undertones so that anyone can give it a go.
How to get an auburn color at home
Auburn is an easy color to get at home. It looks like a brownish color with many red pigments. Auburn refers to a variety of shades that are a combination of brown and red. Luckily, many brands offer a large variety of auburn shade boxed dyes.
Those of you with reddish hair can get a beautiful auburn shade quite quickly. Simply use the boxed dye, and chances are it will look great on the first try.
If you have a lighter hair color than auburn, you can simply put the auburn shade on top, and it should turn out just like the photo on the packaging. In case your hair is a very light blonde, like platinum, then you have to apply the color twice to get the best results.
If your hair is very dark, like brown or black, you might have to lighten it a few shades. You can either use an at-home bleach kit and decoloring cream or visit a hairdresser. Remember that the auburn doesn’t show up on darker hair colors, so lightening is a necessary first step.
Now, if you feel confident that you want an auburn color, check out our list of the top shades.
Best for Warm Skin Tones: Clairol Nice’N Easy Original 6R Natural Light Auburn
The Light Auburn shade by Nice’N Easy is a great way to add rich reddish color to your already warm complexion. Since the shade is a light auburn, it looks natural and effortless. This dye is also great for blending the roots and base color with the new light auburn. It makes the colors blend seamlessly, so you don’t end up with patchy color, which is something you definitely want to avoid.
The dye offers 100% grey coverage, and it has a pleasant floral scent. Therefore, it doesn’t smell like typical ammonia dyes. Also, it’s gentle enough on your hair, so your hair doesn’t feel dry and brittle after you use it. The formula conditions and nourishes the hair strands and offers a beautiful glossy shine.
- It colors three salon tones.
- Blends highlights and natural tones, so there’s no patchiness.
- Offers grey coverage.
- It repairs, strengthens, restructures, and even nourishes hair.
- Great for warm skin tones.
- It can make your scalp itchy.
Best for Brunettes: L’Oreal Paris Superior Preference Fade-Defying + Shine Permanent Hair Color, 6AB Chic Auburn Brown
If you already have brown hair, you can quickly turn it into a beautiful multi-tonal auburn with this L’Oreal boxed dye. This is a permanent hair dye formula that lasts for up to 8 weeks. We love it because the color is so shiny and glossy; it’s definitely going to turn heads. The color is lustrous and fade-resistant, so you can feel confident that it will not wash out quickly.
The shine-boosting formula is made with golden camelina oil, antioxidant vitamin E, and a UV filter. This protects the color against sun damage and makes it silky to the touch. The Superior Preference range comes with a hydrating conditioner, so your hair doesn’t feel brittle. Oh, and if you have greys, this formula blends them away nicely, so your roots are the same color as the rest of your hair.
- The formula blends away greys.
- It offers a gorgeous shine and glossiness.
- It contains a UV filter and antioxidants to protect the color against sun damage.
- Easy to use liquid gel formula.
- Permanent and fade-resistant for up to 2 months.
- The color seems to be darker than the photo on the box.
Best Metallic Auburn: L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color, R48 Red Velvet (Intense Deep Auburn)
Want metallic and shimmery deep auburn hair? The L’Oreal Feria range is the best when it comes to glossy, metallic shades. This is a high intensity vibrant deep auburn, so it’s perfect if you want a bold color. These Feria formulas are infused with three times the highlights, so the color never looks dull. Instead, you get a multi-tonal shade that blends in with your roots to create reflective and shimmery tones.
This particular formula is known for its bold and trendy colors; however, it doesn’t cover greys. You should use it if you already colored greys with another dye. But, the color is permanent and comes in an easy to use liquid gel formula so you can apply it evenly without drips and messes.
- The liquid gel formula is easy to apply.
- Bold and vibrant color.
- The shade has shiny and shimmery metallic tones.
- Fade-resistant and lasts up to 8 weeks.
- It contains highlights, so hair looks multidimensional and never dull.
- It’s gentle and conditions.
- Hair can feel oily after using the dye.
Best Nourishing Formula: Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color Nourishing Permanent Hair Color Cream, R2 Medium Intense Auburn (1 Kit) Red Hair Dye
At-home hair dyes are notorious for drying and damaging hair. It’s not unusual to do more damage than good with cheap dyes. But, the Garnier Nutrisse range is formulated with nourishing avocado, olive, and shea oils to ensure hair feels hydrated. We really love the special fruit oil ampoule in the dye kit. Simply pour it into the creme color for added nourishment and hydration. Therefore, your hair doesn’t suffer any damage during the coloring process. So, you can say goodbye to brittle straw-like hair for good.
The dye is formulated with color boost technology, making the auburn shade look bolder and more vibrant. It’s not recommended for grey coverage, but it works very well if you already have reddish-brown hair and want that specific richness of auburn.
- Very nourishing with avocado, shea, and olive oil.
- It doesn’t turn your hair brittle and dry.
- It offers a very bold and vibrant color.
- The color creme formula is easy to apply.
- Has an affordable price.
- It doesn’t cover greys.
- Color may appear lighter than the photo on the box.
Best Grey Hair Coverage: Clairol Nice’n Easy Perfect 10 Permanent Hair Color, 6R Light Auburn
This permanent hair color is perfect for covering greys and stubborn roots. Many people love this kit because it comes with a brush type applicator, making it easy to spread the dye evenly. Therefore, it’s better than other dyes when it comes to covering your greys. The light auburn shade is very bright, vibrant, and shiny. The formula contains micro-pearls that deliver and out of this world shine.
The best part about this hair dye kit is that it colors very quickly in about 10 minutes. Since it’s a permanent dye, you can expect the color to last for about two months without fading. If you’re worried about color damage, you can rest assured that this one is not very damaging. The kit contains a nourishing conditioner that helps moisturize the hair strands. As well, it makes strands feel silky soft to the touch. So, if you’re after luxurious salon-like results, Perfect 10 is a great option.
- It has a handy brush type applicator that makes it easy to cover all the hair.
- Covers greys very well.
- It gives a bold, shiny color.
- Permanent hair color, so it lasts for up to 8 weeks.
- It contains micro-pearls for a shine boost.
- Works in as little as 10 minutes.
- It has a chemical smell that may irritate your nose, eyes, and scalp.
Best Ammonia-Free: Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color, Permanent Hair Dye with Keratin, 100% Gray Coverage, Ammonia Free, 53 Light Auburn
This Revlon dye is a great way to get amazing color without damaging your hair. We recommend this dye for those of you concerned about ammonia and harsh chemicals. It is enriched with silk amino acid and keratin for softer, shinier, and stronger hair. Even though it’s ammonia-free, this formula gives a bold and long-lasting color. The special Revlon 3D color gel technology gives a natural-looking and multi-tonal hair color.
If you struggle with dull and lifeless hair, this light auburn shade will give stunning results. The color is very bold and vibrant, so it shimmers in the light and looks like you’ve just come home from the salon. It’s even great for women with grey hair because it covers up to 100% of greys in just 25 minutes.
- It gives a beautiful and bold color.
- The formula is ammonia-free.
- It is infused with keratin and silk amino acids for stronger and healthier hair.
- Gives dimension to flat hair.
- It’s very affordable.
- Covers greys.
- The color doesn’t last as long as the box claims.
How to pick the right auburn shade
When it comes to picking the right hair color, it’s important to choose the auburn hair color that most complements your skin tone. Auburn color is customizable, which means that it comes in many shades to suit warm, neutral, and cool skin tones.
Here are some tips to help you figure out which shade looks best with your complexion.
- If you have very light and fair skin with some pink undertones, we recommend a brown-toned auburn, a light strawberry red, or a coppery red.
- For olive skin tones, a darker brown auburn looks best.
- Neutral, yellow, and blue undertones should try a deep reddish shade of auburn.
- Medium coppery auburn shades complement medium skin tones.
- Dark skin tones should also try a deep red-toned auburn.
- If you are a natural redhead, a classic auburn with honey-golden highlights is recommended.
- Dark auburn hair complements almost all eye colors, including blue, green, hazel, and light brown. It adds rich golden-red tones and warms up the complexion.
Keep in mind these are just guiding points and tips. Anyone can wear auburn hair color because it’s a universally flattering timeless color. So have fun with it!
How to maintain auburn hair color
Contrary to popular belief, an auburn hair color is not that hard to maintain. It requires regular touch-ups and some basic maintenance. If you don’t use a color-protecting shampoo and conditioner, the color will fade and look dull. Red hair color is UV ray sensitive, so avoid sun exposure to protect against fading.
- Wash your hair with lukewarm water to prevent fading and color washout.
- Don’t use too many styling tools. Heat styling leads to damaged hair, so avoid blow-drying at high temperature, avoid curling irons and straighteners. Instead, use a texturizing spray or cream to make your hair look voluminous.
- Touch up your roots with the same shade as the rest of your hair to maintain uniform color all over.
- Use a nourishing and color-protecting hair mask at least once a week.
- Always use color-safe shampoo and conditioner.
- Don’t expose your hair to UV rays, as repeated exposure causes fading. Use a UV protectant spray when going outside.
I’m sure you’ll find some great shade options on our list of the best auburn at-home dye kits. This color has been popular for decades, and it never goes out of style, so if you want a rich, bold color that makes you look classy and elegant, you can’t go wrong with an auburn. It’s the perfect color for autumn and winter and a great alternative to chocolate brown.