One of the most common complaints from women with brown hair is that their color options are limited. But, that’s because they believe the myth that brown hair is boring because it lacks dimension. This is simply not true.
To make a brunette shade stand out, there are several color tricks to consider. You can add honey-colored highlights or go for blond ombre. But, have you considered an ashy brown color? Ash brown refers to cool-toned colored, which adds texture and dimension to hair. Think of it as an upgrade to basic brown. It is subtle, but you can add it as highlights or a full balayage if you really want to transform your hair.
Cool-toned hair is on-trend and easy to achieve at home.
Let’s take a look at 7 of the best ash brown hair dyes, so that you can get this cool color at home.
What is ash brown hair color?
Ash colors refer to hair colors with blue and green pigments that give your hair a silvery and smokey color. When you think of ash brown, think of hue that is a combination of brown and silver. It is a cool-toned color that is not very vivid. It is a pale version of brown with silver highlights. But, this is a very trendy color because you can pick up on the balayage trend without damaging your brown color with bleach.
You can call this a low-maintenance color because if you apply it to your hair below your dark base, you don’t have to worry about root maintenance. It will look great as an extension of your natural hair. Ash brown gives your hair texture and transforms it into a beige-grey.
7 Best Ash Brown Hair Dyes To Use
Here is our list of the top 7 hair dyes you can find on Amazon.
Best Light Ash: Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color, Permanent Hair Dye with Keratin, 100% Gray Coverage, Ammonia Free, 50 Light Ash Brown
There are different shades of ash brown out there, but if you want the lightest kind, this is the dye to use. It is an ammonia-free formula that doesn’t destroy or damage hair follicles during coloring. Revlon’s formula is enriched with nourishing ingredients such as silk amino acid and keratin to protect the hair from the harmful side effects of coloring.
This hair dye is excellent because it offers 100% grey coverage so you can have the lovely ash brown hue from root to tip. The color is natural-looking and multi-tonal, so your hair won’t look dull or lifeless. Plus, you’ll love that this dye is cheap and easy to use.
- Revlon has a unique gel 3D formula that infuses hair with multi-tonal and multi-dimensional color that lasts for many washes.
- This product does not contain ammonia, so it doesn’t damage the hair or smell bad, like most other similar products.
- The formula offers up to 100 % grey hair coverage so you can be sure the color looks even from the root down to the tip.
- For an intense color or longer hair, you might need to use two bottles of product to get full coverage.
Best Medium Ash: Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Hair Color Creme, 51 Medium Ash Brown (Cool Tea)
Garnier is one of the most popular at-home box dye manufacturers. This medium ash brown color is packed with cool tones and gives a dark, rich, vibrant color. The formula is conditioning for hair strands as it contains a triple mix of hydrating oils: avocado, olive, and shea. Your hair becomes shiny and glossy after coloring and doesn’t make it look patchy or dull. Usually, dyes leave hair feeling dry, but this one doesn’t!
This permanent hair color is excellent if you want grey coverage and luscious locks. Hair is left two times stronger and three times more nourished thanks to the oil ampoules included in the kit. So, if you want an ashy brown color that lasts week and week, try this affordable product.
- The combination of three nourishing oils gives your hair that sleek, glossy finish that lasts several weeks.
- The product is easy to apply because it has a no-drip formula, so it means you won’t be making a mess in the bathroom.
- This an affordable drugstore product that costs around $7, so it is much cheaper than a visit to the salon.
- The product gives great results if your natural hair color is brown. If not, it will take several applications.
Best Dark Ash: L’Oreal Paris Superior Preference Fade-Defying + Shine Permanent Hair Color, 4A Dark Ash Brown
Here is a cool-toned dark ash brown color for a deep brunette shade. This product is an Amazon’s Choice Pick because it offers fade-defying color that lasts for weeks. The color is rich, vibrant, and shiny so that you can say goodbye to dull, dry hair. The gel formula is easy to apply for even coverage.
The dye kit also contains an ultra-nourishing conditioner that helps prevents damage and hair breakage. The hair will look shiny, thanks to the formula which contains camelina oil, antioxidants, vitamin E, and a UV filter to protect from sun damage. This product will make all the grey hair fade away into a sea of multi-toned ash brown hues.
- This permanent hair color will keep its vibrancy and luminosity for up to 8 weeks.
- The ash brown shade has multi-tone highlights, so your hair looks multi-dimensional in the light.
- The kit includes a conditioner that nourishes and conditions hair for stronger and healthier-looking locks.
- The product has a strong chemical scent, which may be irritating and provoke an allergic reaction.
Best Vegan Formula: Revlon Total Color Permanent Hair Color, Clean and Vegan, 100% Gray Coverage Hair Dye, 51 Medium Ash Brown
This is the perfect product for those of you looking for a vegan hair dye that is affordable and has a clean formula. The clean formula means that this hair color kit doesn’t contain parabens, ammonia, silicones, and sulfates, which are known to cause health problems and damage hair. Plus, the product is vegan, so there are no animal by-products.
The hair dye offers a long-lasting color that is vibrant and lively. The hue gives just the right amount of ashiness. The best part is that you get sufficient grey coverage and a formula packed with nourishing ingredients such as hemp seed oil.
- The product has a conditioning gloss to give your hair that glossy shine. It contains botanical ingredients such as sesame oil.
- This dye has a long-lasting effect of up to six weeks of intense color.
- The color covers all the grey hairs evenly.
- Some customers report a burning sensation and an allergic reaction to the product.
Best Value: Clairol Nice’n Easy Permanent Hair Color, 6A Light Ash Brown
Clairol is an affordable brand that is popular among customers for low priced hair dyes that give great results. This light ash shade is perfect if you want a natural looking multi-dimensional hair color. It gives up to three tones of color that lasts for several weeks. The product also contains a CC conditioner that nourishes hair and protects it against damage and breakage.
This formula is great because it also covers grey hairs evenly if applied correctly. You have to apply the cream to the roots first and wait a few minutes before applying to the rest of the hair. The dye gives even color and doesn’t leave a reddish tint on brown hair colors.
- The hair color looks natural because the formula contains three highlights and lowlights that combine for a perfect ashy shade.
- The product offers up to 100% grey coverage, so women of all ages can use it.
- It lightens hair up to three tones so you can achieve the desired color even after one application.
- The dye needs to be applied in 2 steps – to the roots for 20 minutes and then the rest of the hair, so it takes longer than other coloring products.
Best Shimmering Color: L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color, T53 Moonlit Tortoise (Cool Medium Brown)
Choose this hair dye is you want a shimmering and vibrant ashy brown color. L’Oreal is a trusted hair color brand, and its Feria range is a continuous bestseller. The permanent dye is long-lasting so that your favorite color lasts wash after wash. This formula gives you three times the highlights of other boxed hair dyes.
The best part of this formula is that it is gentle on the hair, which means you won’t be left with damaged or brittle hair after coloring. The Cool Medium Brown has those cool undertones that all the celebrities are wearing. L’Oreal’s range is inspired by the top trending colors of the fashion season.
- This formula is gentle and hydrating, and it doesn’t weaken the hair strands.
- The shade is bold and vibrant because it has three times the highlights to give intense multi-dimensional color.
- The color will give multiple tones to each hair strand, so locks shimmer in the light.
- The Feria formula does not cover grey hairs, so you will need to use another color to cover them.
Best Asian Beauty: Kao Liese Prettia Bubble Hair Dye # New York Ash
The shade New York Ash is the perfect silvery brown. This hair dye, like many Asian Beauty products, has an innovative foam formula. It’s so easy to color your hair at home because all you have to do is apply the foam evenly, covering the length. One box of this dye will effectively cover medium length hair in one application.
This formula is nourishing, and repairs damaged hair follicles. It penetrates deep into the hair cuticle to repair and moisturize, so you are left with silky smooth hair after coloring. The dye is meant to lighten brown hair colors and make them ashy colored. It is not intended for use as a grey cover-up.
- Lightens hair in about 20 minutes.
- The foam formula is easier to apply than creams.
- The color is multi-dimensional and leaves hair looking more vibrant.
- The dye does not cover gray hairs, so you need to use a different brand to cover up grey roots.
How can I achieve ash brown hair easily?
Experts recommend that when you DIY this cool-toned color, you also take precautions to keep hair brass-free. The color should be cool-toned, which means there should not be any golden or caramel hues. The best way to keep it cool is to use a silver or purple shampoo right after coloring the hair. The blue-toned shampoo will cancel out any warm hues and red shades.
How do you keep ash brown hair from fading?
Once you dye your hair, you need to prevent color fading. One of the most common complaints women have about ash brown hues is that they seem to fade out fast and lose the silvery undertones.
To maintain your color, be sure to limit hair washing to once or twice a week maximum. If the roots become very greasy, try to use an invisible dry shampoo between washes. If you have a light ash brown color that is close to blonde, you can use a purple toning shampoo to keep the color vivid.
The bottom line
Ash brown is a trending hair color, and as you’ve learned, it is easy to achieve this color at home using box dyes. However, make sure to choose a formula that is relatively close to your current hair color to get the best results. So, if you want a brunette shade with cool grey tones, don’t be afraid to try this hair color trend!
But, keep in mind that it’s always essential to do a patch test on your skin before using a hair dye. This way, you can avoid an allergic reaction and make sure the products are right for you.